Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

12volt conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ ANTICS
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: 12volt conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I picked up an alternator at a wrecking yard. It came off a GMC full sized Jimmy about 1980 vintage . It has three wires coming out of it. Can anyone send me a wiring diagram so I'll get it hooked up right? I would appreciate some help on this one. It is going on a Ferguson TO 35.. Thanks

rvirgil_KS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: 12volt conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's basic diagram for Delco alternator with internal regulator.

If you have generator/regulator, the BAT wire on regulator goes to big stud on alternator.

L (Load) terminal on regulator supplies current to light and ignition switches. Disconnect this wire and connect switch feed to alternator side of ammeter. You can use this original L wire for the diode to the alternator.

Purpose of the diode is to ensure that the engine shuts down when the switch is turned off.

AZ ANTICS
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 12volt conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My local radio shack had only 3 amp diodes, will it work?

trac
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 12volt conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the diode prevents the current from flowing back to the key switch so it can be turned off i use a 3 pole key switch acc. or lights so you don't need the diode. I'm not a electrical guru but i can't see why you can't go bigger.

rvirgil_KS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 12volt conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A diode passes current in one direction, and blockes it in the opposite direction. It is rated for voltage and amperage, for example 1.5 amp @ 50 volts.

The amp rating is the amount of current it can pass without breakdown

The voltage rating is amount of reverse voltage it can withstand without break down.

In this application for alternator 1.5A @ 50 volt would be minimum requirement, higher amp and volt rating give more reserve protection and are fine to use. They are easy to use and can be installed anywhere between switch output and #1 pin on alternator plug. Marked band goes toward alternator.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.