Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Deere 4030

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Main

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,

I am getting a JD 4030 that has ~8000 hours. It runs well, only has a few hydraulic leaks, but I was wondering if anyone can give advice on how many hours you can have on this tractor before it would need some type of engine rebuild? I know that is dependent on how hard it has been used, but I am just looking for some rough estimates if anyone has experience with this tractor.

Thanks!

John M.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Length of engine life is also very dependent on the maintenance it has received. I've seen engines overhauled at 5000 hrs and some as high as 10-12K hrs.

Last edited by Tx Jim on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rule of thumb is 9,000-10,000 hours after that it's borrowed time, and luck of the draw...

John Main

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Jim & Tim. This looks to have been maintained well, so hopefully it still has some life left before needing a rebuild.

Next question is if you have a rough estimate for what that rebuild might cost? Do either of you have experience with that?

I will call my local JD dealer to check, but thought I would ask folks here as well.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Regards,

John M.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We usually have about $4500-$5500 in a rebuild, that's pistons/liners/bearings /water pump/radiator clean&tested/head work/rods re-sized...a dealer will be 50% or so more..

long green line man
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another thing to check or inquire about is injectors & injection pump, they usually need work at about that amount of hours.. 329 ci. Dubuque engines are slightly "cheaper" to rebuild than Waterloo engines...

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 4430 with over 11,000 on it- first engine. Used a pint of oil between CHANGES, 100 hr interval. Did that all 25 years I owned it. 4240 and 4450 have over 8xxx hrs apiece, first engines, similar results.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It seems that the liners are the first thing to give trouble...they will run great use very little oil,, but one morning when you check the oil it will look like it's full off chocolate milk...

John Main

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks all for the great info.

I do have one additional question. The tractor
has a JD 158 Loader on it. How difficult is it
to remove and re-attach the loader? What I am
thinking is being able to remove the loader for
field work, and re-attach for moving big bales for
our livestock.

Thanks much!!

John

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not as easy to remove as todays quick-tach loaders but remove 4 bolts on each side,hang loader on a stand/tree,disconnect hyd's & back out. Re-attach in reverse order.

tanman_2006
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As said, removing those loaders isnt bad if you have a stand or good tree. Building a stand isnt hard at all.

I leave my loader on for field work, not sure what your reason for taking it off is.

John Main

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Jim and Tanman.

@Tanman. I was thinking it would be easier to do
field work w/ the loader off, but I will try it
with it on as you mention. Will take the advice
of someone who has experience.

Once again, I really appreciate all the great
advice. I aim to gain more knowledge and return
the favor to others on this forum.

Regards,

John M.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 158 loader extends in front of tractor a good distance. I did have a 158 on my 4255 but rough hay fields caused me to remove it. The loader will make a tractor ride rougher than one without.

tanman_2006
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After you put a 30 front end on and wide tires Imo it bounces just as much as with it on. I take my bucket off and run with my bale spike. Once the loader is off you need to put weight back on the front or lower airpressure Imo. My dad had a GB high boy loader on his 4020 while I was growing up. The high boy really stuck out there. Jd loaders that I've seen don't even stick out that far. Now I have that same loader on my 4010

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't remember how far in front or how high a 158 goes but it considerable more than a 148

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.