Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD 314

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ GARY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm trying move a 314 garden tractor that hasn't run for at least a year. We couldn't get it started and was going to push it out and load. We couldn't get the hydro to release. We turned the knob in front of the seat maybe two turns and it seemed to stop. It turned hard and had to use channel locks on it. About how many turns does it take to release the hydro? If the seat safety switch is still connected will that keep the engine from turning over or will it turn over and not start? You can see I'm new to this model tractor

carl m grey

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

more than likely the two valves that the plate that is connect to the knob pushes down are stuck , have to fender deck to get to them, if pushed down it will free wheel , good luck

steve_in_mo

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put a furniture dolly under it so you don't damage the transaxle.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DO NOT move it (with the rear wheels turning), especially if it has sat for a while and the swashplate and other parts in the hydro are dry of oil, or you will KILL it!

Even when they have run recently and the "free-wheeling valve" works as intended, pushing them more than a VERY short distance will KILL them!

AZ GARY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize moving them in the free wheeling mode would hurt it. The book doesn't say anything about not doing it for wery far. How many turns does it take to get the buttons pushed to release? I moved it less than 2 turns not knowing at that time anything about the machine. I only need to go about 40 feet.

504-1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

put a floor jack under it and use it as a dolly will work too.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IMHO, I would NOT consider rolling that tractor even 40 feet.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is this from real experience or something you read? I've pull hydros all over the place with no problem just need to pull them slow can't imagine ever being able to push one fast enough to hurt it.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes. Last one was a customer"s DEERE 420. Daughter ran it out of gas at the end of his lane, just before dark. Didn"t want to go to town for gas, and didn"t want it by the road overnight, so they towed it 50 or 75 feet. Quote @ DEERE was over $1500, I did it with used parts for quite a bit less. Wait "til you smoke one, you won"t want to try it again!

steve_in_MO

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you already owned the floor jack it would be good, but it's a lot heavier and more expensive than a furniture dolly.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty stupid with a Deere 420 and wonder if you know what you're talking about as a 420 does NOT have a hydo release as it has a neutral in the rear between high and low range to make it free wheel and it can be towed or pushed no problem.You sound like a BSer to me.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Call me whatever makes you feel better.

Bottom line is, if a Sundstrand hydro of that type has sat for any length of time, the oil has drained away from the hydraulic motor's "slippers" and swashplate and you can't move them very far before permanent damage is done.

WHY rick that?

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So in other words the story about the 420 was totally made up.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, Trad, it wasn't "made up". It DID happen and I repaired it. About ten years have passed and I MAY be wrong and it could have been a 400.

ANYHOW, it was a Deere tractor of that size, he towed it the length of his driveway after it was run out of gas, and the hydro motor piston "slippers" and swashplate were completely ruined/galled/blued from lack of lube.

In the Operator's Manuals, they state NOT to move these machines any great distance at all with the engines NOT running, and that is what I am stating. What the HE77 is your beef with me?

Am I wrong in cautioning someone asgainst doing something that will likely RUIN his tractor????

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 314 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well Bob my Beef is you're spouting a bunch a stuff you obviously have no first hand knowledge about.A 400 also has a neutral between the high/low in the rear so it too has NO release on the hydro because it doesn't need one and it can be pushed or towed no problem.I have personally pushed and towed (slowly) Ariens,Simplcitys and other garden tractors with no neutral but with a
hydro release with no ill effects whatso ever.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters