Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well all good things come to an end. Yesterday we pulled the last batch of syrup off the big evaporator, and tore down about 750 buckets. It started raining hard about 4:00pm, and continued into the night. This morning we went up and lit a small fire in the big evaporator, which was flooded with water yesterday, to push the last of the syrup through. Spent most of the morning washing down the pans in it. We transfered the half boiled sap from the big evaporator,to the small one while flooding it. we made another 21 gals., of surup, from the residual sap in both evaporators. Flooded the small evaporator this afternoon, when we couldn't get temp in pans up over the boiling point. ( water will only get up to 212D. you don't have syrup until temp gets up to 219D. tomarrow we will start a small ire in the small evaporator to heat the water we put in it this afternoon and wash it down, plus get a start on washing the 1500 buckets we hung this year. Each one gets hand washed and rinsed, and the spiles get boiled in a pot to steralize them. the school kids will be up to help, take down the last 750 bkts. and wash them. We should be all done Sunday aternoon. The SS 40gal. drumbs will go to a down state processor, for $1600 plus $225, the price of the SS barrels,(refundable on return, undamaged, and clean).
The woods look a lot different now. The Maylowers are starting to blossum and the leaks are coming on, and the sugarbush has taken on a new look since the snow melt.
E-mail open for ordering info. last call.
Loren, the Acg

Vito
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With the weather you had it was a pretty short season.Thanks for the pics and update.

Vito

Steve A W
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What was the final tally?

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pulled all 25 of our taps on Tuesday night. It was a big job.
Zach

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Vito,
The season lasted a lot longer than last year, but the days that sap actually ran was few and fare between. It sort of worked out for us in the slow spells, as both uncles and I spent some of the down time in the hospital.
We're all ready to get going now, just don't know what gear we're going to plow and plant in, this year. It used to be the 5mph gear, might be the 4mph one this year.
Loren

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steve,
354 gals.
Loren

PaGlenn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Enjoyed your Maple Syrup post and pics. Thanx

Harold Hubbard
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I declared victory and pulled out yesterday. If I had wood to spare I would just let the vacuum pump run for the next three days and see if it produced anything, but I will be scrounging wood just to heat water for clean up.

I made just short of 300 gallons on about a thousand taps. That is twice as much as last year, so I am happy with it. I was fighting for wood from the very beginning, as I lost over two months work last fall when my wife was injured. That was right when I would have been cutting wood, both for my house and for the sugar house. Most days I was cutting wood in the morning and burning it in the afternoon. It made for a few looong days. I used almost seventeen cords, of which only six was dry wood cut last year. I managed to keep mixing the dry wood in, but ran out of it toward the end. If I had all dry wood it would have used much less.

I took today off, just dubbed around with my truck and did some paperwork. Tomorrow I will start cleanup, I still need to can up all the syrup I am keeping for retail sales, about half of it, than the rest will go to a packer.

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And we're getting freezing rain here right now! Lol, the up and down weather continues!

JD John
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the pics of the syrup season, I really enjoyed them. It made me want to do it again, I used to boil sap when I was in FFA, maybe next year! John

Erik Ks farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loren, your email doesn't show as open for me. Please email me at finchfarmsks@gmail.com. Thanks, Erik

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures. You're a week or two ahead of where we are here. We've only gathered 3 times from the 400 taps my uncle has out in my parents' woods. Nothing green showing out there yet, and tonight is adding more white to what was left (maybe 1/4 snow cover yesterday). Hasn't been a great year here either, but way ahead of last year.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loren AGC,
Great photos. I have enjoyed them all. The most covered rocks amongst the brown leaves are really nice shots.

randallinMo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loren, I"ve followed your progress from the very beginning with your photos and reports. I can say that I have truly enjoyed watching and reading how you did this. I did not know anything about how this was done and it has certainly be a educational experience for me. I guess I was amazed at how much sap it took for the final product. Thanks for taking the time to show us "flatlanders" how "Maple Syrup" is done! It was nice seeing your photo amongst your uncles and nephews. I got a kick out of the young man "seemingly" hiding a beer can in his jacket pocket! I thought "Aha........those guys DO have a few beers along the way"! Thanks again.
Randall

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: End to the 2013 Maple Syrup Year. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sweetfeet,
I took them with you in mind.
Loren, the Acg.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.