Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weight ???

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1legonutt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wanting opinions on weight wheel weights vs liquid tire ballast sound off pros and cons thanks

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fluid, will make rims rusty, but its cheaper, and I think it gives more traction than wheel weights, easy to put in.

Wheel weights, always be able to resell, not any fun to put on, makes tractor wider, doesn't work the best if it hangs out on say a snowblower, not a big deal, they look cool

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fluid does in fact work better because it puts the weight on the tread of the tire with out air holding it. Wheel weight put the weight on air which means the weight does not sit on the ground so they do not work as well as fluid but they can be added or removed easier then fluid and depending on the fluid it can cause rim problems

Mowdigger
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are new products out that aren't supposed to rust out the rims. I believe one is a beet juice base. It is supposed to work very good.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like the guys already said, wheel weights are rare and expensive compare to fluids... and I got to admit, fluids do work better for traction, low center of balance, installation a lot easier....but please don't use calcium chloride, it is heavier than real ocean sea water, but 3 times as tough on metal. I hear lot of good things about beet juice? And I suppose if you find half a pallet of windshield washer fluid cheap enough, that would be great too- just not calcium chloride in my book. A few months ago someone on another forum spent nearly a grand on a 38 inch farmall tire and rim that was ruined beyond repair- by CC...and he kept the worthless, harmful, rotten old calcium in buckets- and wants ideas to carefully pump it all back in. I wanted to throw up...

Ellis Kinney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently loaded the tires on my SMTA. I went with windshield washer fluid. I checked on rimguard (beat juice) and got a quote of $3.50/gallon plus a $100.00 service run. Each tire required 57 gallons. I did not want calcium with my new rims. I was able to purchase washer fluid for $100.00/ 55 gal drum plus 4 extra gallons. The service run to pump it was $50.00. Washer fluid of course is not quite as heavy as calcium or beat juice. I was told by my tire guy that a drum of washer fluid weighs 400 lbs. I also have one wheel weight per wheel. Hope this helps. Ellis

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only time it will make a rim rusty is after it has a leak. I have a 41 Farmall B that has had calcium in the rears for most of its life & the rims are just fine.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wheel weights are harder to find but I like them better than fluid.
I can put them on and take them off as needed - like winter vs summer. Weights are like money in the bank as they sell readily. Try to sell your old fluid. You wont.

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the fluid completely submerses the rim, it can't rust because of a lack of oxygen.

Here's some picutures of our 1755's rim. It was a dead tractor that while sitting along the fence the tire sprung a leak, so the CaCl was right against the rim. The only real rust is on the top, where the air was able to get at it. The surface rust appeared after dismounting the tires to have them mounted on our Massey 285. Still filled with CaCl.

I jacked it up and put the tractor on some cribbing on that side right away when it sprung a leak so the tire wouldn't be junk. Last summer we sold it for parts.

Donovan from Wisconsin

Last edited by Don-Wi on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use cast iron weights on all of my tractors and never use liquid.

Cast iron is easy to add/remove as per conditions and creates no issues for one such as I who does all of his own tire repair.

Dean

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rim Guard is non corrosive, does not freeze at tractor usage temperatures and is supposedly slightly heavier that H2O/CaCl but it is quite expensive and makes a mess if you have a puncture.

Dean

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Come on guys fluid does not make tires pull better! It might lower the center of gravity a little. If you want to get beat just show up at a tractor pull with fluid in your tires!. Plowing 200 lb of weight on your left tire will out run the same tractor with 400 lb of fluid on the left. Because the tire will not contour itself to the ground. Vic

sd pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did something wrong. I used Calcium chloride for 35 years and never had a rim go bad. On a real farm.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CaCl doesn't make rims rust, procrastination does. If you are airing up a loaded tire every few days you are giving the CaCL fresh oxygen to use in attacking the rims.

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Weight ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use antifreeze and water in my newer tractor and CaCl in the old one. No problems with either but I didn't want to take the chance of rusting out the new ones.

Mark

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.