Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GB and plow restoration

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have completed our restoration of a 1955 GB and DF plow. Some of you have helped with suggestions. Thanks for help finding moldboards. I know not all is exactly original but it is functional. GB checked out at 76 hp on dyno. Will be using this fall on auger and at a plow day in Chariton County, Mo.
Jim and John

[img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/16742.jpg[/img]

[img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/16743.jpg[/img]

[img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/16744.jpg[/img]

[img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/16745.jpg[/img]

[img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/16746.jpg[/img]

[img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/16747.jpg[/img]

Last edited by jnf on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
jnf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tried to include pictures and failed. I am new to this. I will try later. Jimhttp://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/TMP16752_sml.jpg

Last edited by jnf on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here are the photos:

Ill John
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got the same setup only my plow has 4 beams to the front. SURE wish it looked that good, thanks for posting. John

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking very good, looked like your plow was painted as a
John Deere before.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sure looks good to me. That's worth all the work it took to do it.

Howard H.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Fellows!

Thanks for the pictures! Really made my morning to see such a fine set of MM equipment ready for work!

You"ll have to post some pics of plowing with it, too!

Did you have to do anything different to get that hydraulic cylinder to work properly?? I"ve never been clear about what would happen if you use a "regular" cylinder on the old MM hydraulic systems.

Thanks a lot,
Howard

oleclint
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have a very sharp outfit there. That will be quite impressive in the field plowing, all freshly painted.
One question; What was the reason to replace the large fenders with the smaller ones? The big wide ones really helped to keep the dirt off the driver. clint

jnf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To answer a couple of questions. First, I am not too familiar with G's. This one has a side mounted reservoir with hydraulic valve on top with check valves, so it can be used with a standard cylinder. I do not know if this is common for a G. My U and UB special have reservoir mounted on top of transmission and the valve is inside the reservoir and require a MM cylinder with check valves in the cylinder, as they are not part of the valve assembly. Second, as we will be using the tractor as a stationary power unit for an auger, clam shell fenders allow easier access to operate hand clutch and pto lever more safely while standing on the ground. Also, clam shell fenders were partly personal preferance. I thank you for your kind compliments. This was a fun father/son project.

Harry J. Case
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello
Can you tell me when and where the plow day will be in Chariton Co.
Thanks, Harry

jnf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is southwest of Salisbury and usually the last Saturday in October

oleclint
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply about using the large fenders. I can understand your thinking.
I sure would like to drive that outfit for a bit We used to farm with GTB s and GB s. They were fun to operate. clint

workhorsepuller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have a gblp for sale if anyone is interested runs great 1800.00 tires are good cond. at 75% call or text 618-363-8187

cumminspuller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great job on the restoration!!

1923 Gleaner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: GB and plow restoration Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice looking rig! One word of advice: If you are going to plow with it you had better put the wheel weights on or she will just set and spin the way it is in the picture. We bought that very rig brand new in the 50's and had to load it up with weights and fluid in the tires. I remember many days plowing that the left front wheel just danced above the ground. Tire hardly ever turned. The GB was a powerhouse in her day.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.