Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

west, tx

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobs ol iron
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

watching the news [9:00pm} mst time.. wow, another tragic explosion, a fertilzer plant explodes in west, tx..70 comfirmed dead...

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guys, West,Tx,, This is a Chzeck Farming community some 8 to 10 miles North of Waco Tx. Along I-35.
It is a Mess to say the least. Mayor was just on a local TV station , He said there was a fire Already at the Fertilizer Plant, and a few Vol. Fire Fighter were all ready there when the Explosion occurred. I speculate the Guys are gone, Judging by the size of the Explosion that was caught on Video.
A local Nursing Home is in shambles!!! it was just across the RR tracks from the Fertilizer Plant. There will be Dead there to.
Prevailing wind today has been out of the SxSWxSE.
Fellow YTer Cen-Tex Ernie lives a scant 7 miles SE of Town. Spoke to him a little while ago, all is well at his place.
Prayers are needed all the folks there!
Later,
John A.

CenTex Farmall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought many a bag of seed at West Fertilizer! I live about 7 miles from there but we were in Waco at the time of the disaster.

News is talking about worries of a second fertilizer "tank" exploding. I'll bet their main anhydrous tanks are damaged and leaking. Whole town has been evacuated.

All family members accounted for so far.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been watching it all night.

Something like this gets to me more than the Boston deal, or the school shooting. I don't know why, but to me this is the bigger deal, gets to me more.

The news media does not know there are different types of fertilizer, it will be interesting to see what exactly blew up. I put no faith in the exact words of the media or even law enforcement, they just don't know the products they are talking about.

They are not confirming any number of deaths, but there are some, probably many.

They were evacuating buildings for the 50 minutes between the fire breaking out and the big blast, hopefully many got away before it went.

Prayers to all, ESP the fire fighters, that can't have a good outcome.....

Paul

organicfrarmer1972

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's 2:45 AM and I just left the scene after working with law enforment officers from around the regions (along with many different firefighters and EMS). Have to be back at 0600 to relieve those who worked all night.

Truley a tragic scene and many lives with be devastated by death, injury or destruction. Please PRAY for those affected.

The city of West and its citizens have along road ahead to heal. The damage is unimagiable. I would have hated to have been iin it. There are deceased firefighters and law enforcement who were killed trying to fight the fire. Many more citizens were killed or seriouly injured as well.

Edward Gay
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As the father of a firefighter my prayers go out to all in the area, especially the firefighters, rescue personel.

The Red
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just looked at Google maps. Hard to believe that West Middle School was located that close to the fertilizer plant.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One correction to the story. The plant wasn't in west texas. It's in central texas about an hour south of Dallas.

dcarp
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The plant is located in the town of West, TX about 20 miles outside of Waco. 5 confirmed dead, 5-15 missing, more than 175 have bee injured. Firefighters were at the plant battling the fire when the plant exploded.
Our prayers are with them.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The map and all the TV coverage is indicating the plant WAS in West, Texas.

John T

gtractorfan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This will probably change zoning laws across the country and cost a lot for compliance.

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

West IS about an hour south of Dallas in central TX. It's on I 35 on the way to Austin. It's not IN W. TX.. The name of the town is West, TX.. Czech culture is very strong there and you can stop by on your road trip and pick up some genuine old home cooking.

Mark

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A. N. is bad stuff. Gotta be careful with it. Reminds me of back in 1947 I think was the year, a ship loading the stuff in Texas City, TX. (between Houston and Galveston) blew up and almost wiped out the town.

I was playing outside that Saturday morning and remember the boom and I was over 35 miles away. Next day Sunday's news had the carnage all over the front page. I remember crawling up in bed with my dad to look at the pictures of what was left.

As the story goes, and I wonder how somebody figured this out, was that they were in the hold loading nets full of AN and there wasn't any ventilation. Lots of the dust and some guy was smoking. Now you figure that one out! How'd they know that if the ship and half the town just disappeared?

Mark

Billy Shafer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a joke for the ones that know. West Texas is in east Texas. Been through there many times. Good home made food and very nice people.I know a couple that had a store in town. Hope they are ok,if they are still in town. I will be saying a prayer for the town. Hope there are no more deaths. But I think there will be more.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: west, tx Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Prayers to you, family friends and all others involved in this tragedy.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.