Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

machining tools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd 2N in mo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: machining tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not mine but on St.Louis CL

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/3707481867.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/3717661967.html

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: machining tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What would I use a surface grinder for? (in tractor restoration or general fab work)

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: machining tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why is it that those guys always want to sell that stuff for what it is worth?

Wile E
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: machining tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sharpening drills, grinding cutters, Ohhh....The uses are endless.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: machining tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sflem849 wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:24:55 04/18/13) What would I use a surface grinder for? (in tractor restoration or general fab work)

A surface grinder could possibly be used for truing up a cylinder head, or mabe even resurfacing a manifold, but that milling machine would do all of that plus a whole lot more.

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: machining tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

True, but I'd rather grind a head than mill it. So many mills are way out of tram (although Bridgeport styles are easy enough to do) you get a step between passes of a face mill. I'm spoiled, I've got free reign over just about any piece of equipment ion the shop at work. CNC mills, manual lathe, surface grinder, blanchard grinder, welders, etc...

I've done lots of personal projects at work simply because I can do a better job with some of what I have available to use. Some because it's climate controled, and winter's a good time of year to do these things.

Just today I brought home some replacement uprights I welded up for supporting drag sections on the cart that I made, and a sprayer pump I cleaned up there and put new parts in. Here are some of the things I've done in the shop, atleast partially.

Donovan from Wisconsin

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: machining tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don, next time you are near Janesville you can show me how to use my surface grinder. The only use I have found so far is flattening the worn oil pump plate on a Farmall. This surface grinder is too small for a cyl head. The mag base is probably only 6"x12"

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: machining tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is a pretty small one. We've got 2 at work, 1 being pretty small and all manual, and the other can be run on full auto and if I remember right, the table is something like 12" x 18" or 20". Still a little small for an engine head.

We have 1 machine in the shop that is very accurate and straight. The boss had the guy on that machine dust the top of his 5.9 cummins (putting an honest 1000 HP to the wheels) and cut in some grooves around each cylinder for sealing the head to the block.

Not really much to using a surface grinder, just use a diamond tipped wheel dresser on the wheel to make sure it's true. Take small cuts and keep it moving. Probably not a big enough wheel or critical enough stuff being done with it to worry much about balancing the wheels.

Donovan from Wisconsin

Jim in MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: machining tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The surface grinder looks like a Brown & Sharpe. I have one that looks just like it, but only gave $250 for mine. IMO, he is awful high on price.

I might only use mine a few times a year but I'm sure glad to have it when I need it. I have a cheap spindex and a set of 5C collets that work great for grinding pins to size.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: machining tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim in MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:30:17 04/20/13) The surface grinder looks like a Brown & Sharpe. I have one that looks just like it, but only gave $250 for mine. IMO, he is awful high on price.

I might only use mine a few times a year but I'm sure glad to have it when I need it. I have a cheap spindex and a set of 5C collets that work great for grinding pins to size.

So it isn't just me that thought it was pretty steep. I paid less than $500 total for my Tree mill and my surface grinder. I didn't know if I got a really good deal or he was really high.

What should a 12.5x48 Cincinatti lathe be priced at? Fairly well tooled with a couple chucks and a live center. It has a 4 jaw pictured, but I would assume there is a 3 jaw with it. I know about boring bars or a drill chuck etc.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: machining tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wile E do you know what a surface grinder is?

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: machining tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stick welding wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:26:32 04/20/13) Wile E do you know what a surface grinder is?

So I am not crazy? I wasn't sure how you would sharpen stuff on it. Other than make stuff REALLY flat.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: machining tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sflem849 wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:50:19 04/20/13)
Jim in MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:30:17 04/20/13) The surface grinder looks like a Brown & Sharpe. I have one that looks just like it, but only gave $250 for mine. IMO, he is awful high on price.

So it isn't just me that thought it was pretty steep. I paid less than $500 total for my Tree mill and my surface grinder. I didn't know if I got a really good deal or he was really high.

What should a 12.5x48 Cincinatti lathe be priced at? Fairly well tooled with a couple chucks and a live center. It has a 4 jaw pictured, but I would assume there is a 3 jaw with it. I know about boring bars or a drill chuck etc.

My opinion is that a lathe of that age should not be priced at any more than about $500, but then I'm still looking for one.

A 4 jaw chuck is pretty much worthless for general use. Only time I've seen a 4 jaw used was when the machinist needed to trun a square hunk of iron into a round hunk.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: machining tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loren, you and I are not so different. Laughing The only thing that makes this one worth more is coming very well tooled.

I have heard that 4 jaws can hold a part straighter, but are harder to get the item straight in. Make sense?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.