Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mechanical wood splitter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Mechanical wood splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found this mechanical Hit and Miss wood splitter on craigslist. Thought it was kind of neat . I tried to post more pictures of it but an not having any luck. If you go to the link you can see the ad. Now I have two pictures the same, did something wrong.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/grd/3703867121.html

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanical wood splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Somebody better call OSHA, looks dangerous.

Gambles
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanical wood splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had some thorny, stringy thorned locust that I've had down for over a year that I finally split a couple of days ago. Most of the pieces were swallowing up two wedges and it still wouldn't split cleanly. I'm going to bet that the splitter you have pictured wouldn't do it either.

JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanical wood splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would bet it will not split much of anything. If the wheel had a mass of weight to it like a huge flywheel it would have better luck. Even then I have my doubts with that little engine.

Might have better luck if you bought the wife a new splitting mall. We all know how well that would work.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanical wood splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How many thumbs can you spare?

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanical wood splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

here's the real deal:
worlds fastest log splitter

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanical wood splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i do not believe that it is for splitting logs.
possibly for splitting out smaller pieces to be used
as wheel spokes or chair rungs?

JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanical wood splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had seen that one before. The picture I posted is a mere toy. If you did not check out the ad the price is $1,600.00. I personally would not want either one of them.
I saw one made from a baler plunger powered by a 4 cylinder car engine (no governor). Belts from the engine to a 32 inch flywheel that drove the plunger. I felt that one was dangerous.

JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanical wood splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was advertised as a wood spliter. Maybe for splitting kindling.

FLOLDFORD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanical wood splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to YouTube and search log splitters There are
some homemade ones on there that will have
scratching your head. I have built and operated
some machines that may not have been the safest
but some these have emergency room written all
over them

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanical wood splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As others have said, it looks pretty light duty- and what part of it is going to come unglued when it encounters a tough piece of wood? Hopefully, not the part that comes flying off in your direction.

Give me a hydraulic one, with a relief valve, any day.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.