Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Case 1470 Transmission

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Lapp
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone done major work on a Case 1470 Transmission. Tractor runs great but the Transmission has a bearing making noise and jumps a little in working gear (5th).
I think I want to try and get it running better.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have replaced the bearings in a 1470 trans before because the trans lube pump failed due to the owner lack of service, I do not quite follow what you mean by "jumping a little in 5th gear", if you mean it does this in a turn under load which I have seen I will ask if you have a matched set of tires and that all have the correct psi in them as this is a must for a 4 whl drive tractor so they will not fight themselves, explain what it's doing more and we will see if we can pin down your problem a little more

Charles Lapp
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you just replace the bearing or did you also have to replace the pump?
When it jumps out of 5th gear it is when it is under a load and in a rough field. It doesn't go completely into neutral, just enough to stop and grinds terrible.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I replaced the pump as well as the brgs, there is a test port on the trans lube line that you can screw a guage into to test lube, there is also a filter on the suction side of the trans pump as well, the trans uses hyd oil for lube not 80wt-90wt like I have seen some use, which lever jumps out of gear? sounds like you may have some gear damage and or loose brgs letting it com out of gear or it may be as simple as a out of adjustment shift linkage I have a service manual for it and can scan info depending on what lever is coming out of gear cnt

Charles Lapp
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The lever that jumps out is the outside lever when it is back and the inside lever is forward (it is in 5th gear). It doesn't seem to do it any other time. I was thinking maybe linkage but the guy I got it from said it has been doing it for several years so it might be deeper. Where can I find gears and bearings? Or is there an outlet for used/recond trannies? It is a Clark Transmission.

Charles Lapp
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What weight of Hydraulic oil is used? Some of my other equipment is very sensitive to either heavy or lite oil. I will drain and replace the oil and check the pump lines as you said.
I like the old tractors and this one is a work horse so I want to keep it running.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use Case Hy-Tran in mine you can use a equivelint to it if you do not want to buy Hy-Tran ask your local bulk oil suppier, I will scan the service manual tonight on what may help you on the shift linkage and the filter on the tranny, on the shifter can you hold it in gear and make it stay? also does it feel like it is going fully into gear? maybe some one has bent a shift fork, as to parts there should be a few in salvage yards just have to do some checking, I got parts from Case but that may not be doable now as they have been obsoleting parts right and left cnt

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put the scans on a new thread

Charles Lapp.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I can hold it in gear, and it does NOT feel like it is all the way in gear. It is a Clark transmission and I have found a couple of places where Clark is very active in repair and replacement. I use that Case oil in my other tractors.

Charles Lapp
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much oil should be in the transmission? The pump suction line is about half way up on the back. Is the a line that goes down further on the inside?

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will post a pic of the suction screen, it holds 5 gallon I think will post that also did you find my other post with the SM scans? it sounds like you need to adjust the likage, does the lever hit the consol and not allow it to go fully into gear?

Charles Lapp
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I can not seem to find the scans you sent. I adjusted the inkage on the shifting lever and it feels much better. I will try driving it this morning to see if it helps.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

here are the scans you should need
in the last pic item #2 is the filter

Charles Lapp
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can I pull the top cover off without having things fly around like opening up one of those cans with the spring snakes in it?
It appears by the drawing that everything should come apart OK. But I have had things go terribly wrong before.
If I can get the top cover off maybe I can see what is making noise.
Can any gears or bearings be changed from the top or does the tranny and engine need to be split for that?

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1470 Transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will post more scans, as to the top cover it should come off with no surprizes I changed ever bearing in the trans except the input shaft by working out of the rear covers ansd top cover

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.