Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4960 flow adjust

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justanothercase
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: 4960 flow adjust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Getting my airseeder ready to go and all i have left is setting the fan speed. Ive hooked my new to me 4960 on it and cant get my fan speed to come down using the adjustment on the scv. Am I missing something? I have a no restriction return. When i move the lever from rabit to turtle it makes no difference. I would sure appreciate any help, cant seem to google anything that makes sense.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 4960 flow adjust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might need one of these.

justanothercase
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 4960 flow adjust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one of them and am seriously considering putting it on there.thank you for your response.

M w J
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 4960 flow adjust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the little roll pin in the knob on the scv broke and just turning on the shaft?

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 4960 flow adjust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know nothing about that piece of machinery. I have a JD 1750 vacuum 6 row planter I pull with a 2520. The blower pressure hose has a flow control built right onto the end of it where it plugs into the tractor.
The White air planter I used to have had a similar control back by the blower.(They assumed use of their PTO pump) but I powered it just like I do the JD.

justanothercase
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 4960 flow adjust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had to laugh when i read that because it was the first thing i thought of. I rebuilt the scvs on my 4230 and converted to pioneer a couple years ago and had that problem, except i forgot to put it in. gripped enough to not fall off but not enough to turn it.

I should add that its not that it wont get the fan speed low enough it just flat doesnt change it at all. Im going to look at the parts breakdown on jdparts and figure out what im looking for and hopefully monday a good service guy will be available to visit with at the local dealer... if i dont get it figured out.

Ken11487
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 4960 flow adjust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That happened with my 7800 and 1730 vac planter too. Turned out that the tractor put out much more than the vac needed and it took the "on planter" valve to slow down the flow to get it into a range where the scv knob would adjust it from the tractor.

JDGnut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 4960 flow adjust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Normally this issue with those SCV's is that you can't fine tune the motors accurately enough with the stock adjustment..
You really need a valve that has pressure and flow compensation.. this will make sure when you activate other functions that your motors will continue at the same speed.. (usually the issue with other valves, is that they will sometime drop the seed when you activate other hydraulic functions, because you lose flow.. )
You planter probably had one on it once apon a time.. usually a black valve about half the size of a brick, with knob to adjust the flow...

but if you can't make any change with the turtle rabbit adjustment.. you need to get that fixed first..
Good Luck..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.