Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

That 1930 Case L - still not running

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve (DE)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I posted a few weeks back, and couldn"t get even a pop out of this thing. Checked out all your suggestions and did get some things straightened out. Re-adjusted the timing. Checked to see that there was gasoline actually coming out of the carburetor drain valve when I opened it. Got a few loud pops somewhere along the way. Now with everything gone over a time or two it still won"t go. I sometimes get a small puff of smoke from the exhaust, but when I keep trying the cranking, that stops and it just sits there looking stupid (with me feeling stupid). Anybody got a list of things to check one at a time to fix this. Its too big to be a lawn ornament.

Steve (DE)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know how to open up the e-mail on this forum, so if anybody wants yo email with the magical answer, putman@pobox.upenn.edu will do it. No loud giggles or guffaws please.

chuck machinist
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am sorry not to have an answer for you, but being a wrench junkie,I am interested in the red wrench hanging on the wall.Can you elaborate?

Brian in Ohio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any chance you have another tractor available to start it via the belt pulley? Mag set right? Have you had it running AT ALL since you've finished the restoration?

Ande
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Steve,
I would hook a chain to her and pull her with another tractor,put her in 2nd or 3rd gear and once you get her moving put the clutch in,,,you know! Just be careful. She might be just a little ornary

Ande
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chuck,isnt that a wrench for the axle nuts on "L" and "LA" ? I have one

Steve (DE)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nope, haven't been able to get it started since I thought I had it finished about 6 weeks ago. I have been thinking of hooking it to my Ferguson TO-20 for which I have a belt pulley attachment that I've never tried using. Advantages or disadvantages over just hooking a chain to it and pulling it down the lane as suggested below?

I thought the magneto was set OK, but I am now wondering if, despite its just being rebuilt, maybe there isn't a hot enough spark. How to check?

Steve (DE)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, its a Case wrench for the axle hub nuts both front and rear. They show up on e-bay from time to time, which is where I got that one. Was real handy during the restoration. Now I just keep thinking of beating it on the tractor. I don't know if the wrench will fit both the L and the C or others.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you belt it to another tractor you can check for spark while it is turning over and make sure it has oil pressure.

Dutchman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steve ,
Just a shot in the dark .... but on my LA .. the KILL lever on the mag .. it RUNS when the lever is DOWN .. and kills the tractor when up .. by the picture it looks UP ... now may-be thats the way yours is ...
,>
By the way .... NICE restore pictures .. like the way you did the FINE details ..
<>
........ mark
<>
I have a wrench like you have ... not painted

cs.hess
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Magneto spark should jump almost i/2 inch if held that far away from engine block. It should be blue spark. If it is only yellow it is weak.Also i would turn off gasoline supply --remove plugs an check gap-have them dry an than crank tractor couple turns to clear out old gas .Than turn on gas-pull choke an pull through until each piston has fired an than open chokee halfway an you should get it startsd.Pulling would be good idea.That would keep you from getting arm broken as while i have cranked sc an dc many times i sure dont think a kickback on crank ow a l would be very healthy for arms!!

RKas
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

steve give me a call II have a 1929 thanks Randall 517 605 3406

farmeracb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steve, I did not read, or do not remember your previous post so I am going to make you a step by step as I would do it, and you make the calls from there. I agree with the belting a fresh tractor, with another operator if at all possible. Cranking a big tractor that already has hard starting problems makes life crappy.

1. Take your air cleaner lower box off until you get it running. I just finished an la that had enough stuff in the air intake to fill a pickup truck.

2. Remove #1 plug, check that your impulse is tripping when the piston is all the way up and heading over center with a zip tie in the hole, AND that it is the compression stroke.

3. Are your wires wired the correct DIRECTION OF ROTATION? I do this for a living and still have done it wrong more than I care to share.

4. Have you checked spark as suggested? The auto store spark tester will not cut it. For future projects go to an echo dealer and tell him you would like to order one of his inline spark testers like he uses in the shop. It is adjustable, has a clear window for the spark and will allow operation while it is installed.

5. If you have all these things in order where you feel good about them, belt that sucker up and let it run on the belt a while. I am going to get dogged about this, but if you still aint getting anything, use some carburetor cleaner in where your carb draws from the oil box and see if it will fire. The tractor will run on it and it is no more harmful than a bottle of gas, just easier to manage.

If you don"t get it, repost and ill give you my cell if you would like.

axe55
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

a few weeks ago w/ my 930 same type of problems , rebuilt carb new points cap rotor wires plugs etc.i pulled valve covers to check valves working. it was crazy i am not a mechanic by any means just telling what my mechanic did. it now runs perfect. i am sure it won't apply , but i was like you, i was ready to try anything. 1st. i didn't know my carb had a solenoid to limit gas . it was stuck closed .with that fixed still had problems. 2nd then wires burnt. i rewired them. 3rd, it was getting spark but not all the time . he emery boarded the points started right up i couldn't believe it points were only few weeks old i't was a simple fix don't give up good luck john

Brian Knuckles
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: That 1930 Case L - still not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My bet is on a timing or mag issue that's causing your troubles. I just helped a fella that was ready to send his Ford to the scrapper for acting that way. I got the timing right for him and she fired right up.

Can't help but notice that nice fuel bowl set-up for dual fuel. Where did you find it? I need one for my 38 L.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters