Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT-cranking diesel engine that has not been cranked for year

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: OT-cranking diesel engine that has not been cranked for year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Diesel engine Toro 62" front deck(zero turn of its day)Been sitting untouched inside storage bldg for 15+ years..Any special instructions before it is turned over to attempt to crank..I"m sure old fuel needs drained out, oil changed etc..what about lubing cylinders? Any thoughts? Suggestions.Also looks like I will be buying a 43 hp Zetor--it has only 5-600 hrs on it..has sat a lot over last 20 yrs but has been used a few minutes every few months.I don;t know if it is an 83 or a 93 model 5011 or 5211 I think.The price is right. Reckon I will be sorry?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: OT-cranking diesel engine that has not been cranked for Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well if I knew that engine I would say pull the injector or injectors and fill with ATF but on some that is not easy to do and can cause other problems like having to replace seals etc. So with out knowing it for sure I would pour is you can a bit of ATF down the exhaust and or intake and spin it over at the same time. Intake would problem work best

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: OT-cranking diesel engine that has not been cranked for Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ask on Tractor Talk - more experience there.
If it turns over I would put a battery in it and start it up.
I've heard stories of folks starting them with older fuel than that.

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: OT-cranking diesel engine that has not been cranked for Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Diesel fuel is it's own lubrication.

Drain old fuel.

Replace fuel filter.

Prime everything.

Change the engine oil and filter and start it up.

Zane

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: OT-cranking diesel engine that has not been cranked for Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might lock up a diesel that way.

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: OT-cranking diesel engine that has not been cranked for Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you turn it over by hand without starting to see if all valves are free. Have to turn it two revolutions. Make sure it will not start, i.e. key off or pull knob pulled!

Then pull or use starter to build up oil pressure, but do not start until pressure is up.

Start it.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: OT-cranking diesel engine that has not been cranked for Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is why I said a little ATF as in just enough to lube the cylinder walls and that is about it. Of course if it is a small one you can pull the valve cover and open up the exhaust valves and dump any extra ATF out of the exhaust

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.