Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Retired Man Trying to Get Knowledgable on 2N Tractor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Old Retired Man Trying to Get Knowledgable on 2N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry for being such a pest. Trying to understand my 2N and its ongoing problems. It doesn't get used much and just sitting may have caused some of the problems. Still working on the no start problem as weather and my old body permits. New points in just as for good measure, I'm pretty sure the timing is on (checked according to book), have a good 1/4" blue/white spark. Drained gas will put in fresh gas when I get back out to work on it. Even tried starting fluid. My background in my working years was computers and then law enforcement. I consider myself mechanically inclined, but still have a lot to learn. One thins mentioned to me on this board was that with the spitting back through the carb intake that I could have one or more stuck intake valve(s). Is there any way to verify and / or free them up without tearing the engine down? Might add the 2N has a front loaded on it, which makes working on it a little more of a challenge. I'd pull the front loader but the way it is in my pole barn with the limited room, it would almost be impossible.
Thanks to all of you for all of your help and once again sorry for being a pest, but this problem has me stumped.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Old Retired Man Trying to Get Knowledgable on 2N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thumb test will tell you if you have stuck valves.

also.. you can pull the valve side covers and physically observe.

if they are sticky.. it will cause hard / no starts even with good spark and starter fluid..

however.. usually you can clean themup and get them moving with some toothbrush and solvents thru the valve cover ports.

once you do ge them moving.. add some atf type f or dex 3 to the gas and oil for a lil extra cleaning.

wsmm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Old Retired Man Trying to Get Knowledgable on 2N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. Did run compression check, which I failed to mention. Starting with cylinder #1, 100, 75, 100, 110. Added ATF to #2, let set for a couple of days. Compression in #2 now seems a little lower. Also had added a little oil to cylinder #2 prior to ATF, and compression increased. Will keep looking and posting my findings. Once again thanks.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Old Retired Man Trying to Get Knowledgable on 2N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

with good comp.. it's not sticky valves.

and with 3 at 100 and 1 at 75, and comes up a bit on oil. it should start pretty easilly.

John in Mich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Old Retired Man Trying to Get Knowledgable on 2N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is easy to get the timing wrong with a front mount distributor (tangs in wrong position, used wrong mounting hole for reference, measure from wrong side of mounting hole). If it is correct and connected 1,2,4,3 it should start. Even if 3+4 are reversed, a good timing should start. I know you said it has the loader and that definetly makes the front mount that much more difficult to get off and install but that is where I would look.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Old Retired Man Trying to Get Knowledgable on 2N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the plugs and make sure you get spark at each of them. The front mount distributor is next to impossible to install wrong when you pull it to replace the points since it will only bolt back on one way unless you force it and then you break it. If you can pull the air cleaner tube off and lay your hand over the carb intake and spin it over. You should get both a good suction there and gas on your hand. If you do not get both you may have a bad manifold or gasket. If you do then the plugs maybe gas fouled and if so it will not start. You might think about buying a set of new auto lite 437 plugs also

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Old Retired Man Trying to Get Knowledgable on 2N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WSMM.........with compression readings in the 100's (Ford specs: 90psi min, dry) you ain't gott no stuck valves.

So you replaced the points, eh? diddja know the weird 4-nipple frontmount dizzy is designed to be removed and the points (0.015") replaced on the kitchen table??? Just un-snapple the capple and remove the 2-bolts. Installation is a reversal of the removal ...except... finger start the 2-bolts and then install the rotor. Now rotate the rotor until the OFFSET tang drive fits into the OFFSET camshaft drive slot. Now tighten the 2-bolts and re-snapple the capple. Simple, eh?

Remember to clean/polish the points (0.015") after installation. Me? I clamp a clean $1-bill between the points and pull. Iff'n yer really cheap, tear a strip from HEAVY brown paper grocery sack and use that.

While the N-Engine is soooo gooood it will start and run on just 2-cylinders, most neubie shadetree mechanics inadvertently swap sparkie wires 3&4. Try un-swapping 3&4. Firing order is 1,2,4,3 CCW.

Recommend you squander $25 (cheap) for the I&T FO4 manual. It even has pictures fer the reading challenged. ........Dell, yer self-appointed sparkie-meister

Walston
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Old Retired Man Trying to Get Knowledgable on 2N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is fairly easy to saturate the spark plugs. You may want to replace them or at least remove the and burn the residue off them with a propane torch, just flame them a second or two, that should do it. If they get saturated they will not fire even with starting fluid. They usually look fine, but a little fire will clean them. I have even done it with a Bic lighter.

Make sure you have good gas flow out the bottom of the carb. Compression sounds OK, so it is likely not a valve.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.