Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

battery box or pan seat?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clampdaddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: battery box or pan seat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PTO flatbacks for pan seat G's seem to be much easier to find than for battery box tractors so I'm probably going to either make brackets for my battery box or convert it over to a pan seat. Which is lighter, the pan seat assembly or the battery box assembly? I'm guessing the battery box would be lighter. Anybody know for sure?

bobidan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: battery box or pan seat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you could save the money and buy a hitch from tim ------ or cale manke that incorporates it all in one hitch,cover, and seat base just my .02

clampdaddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: battery box or pan seat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bobidan wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:46:06 04/24/13) you could save the money and buy a hitch from tim ------ or cale manke that incorporates it all in one hitch,cover, and seat base just my .02

I'm more interested in weight savings, not the hitch. The local club requires use of the factory drawbar attachment and a working PTO. It appears that Detwieler offers an aluminum cover that is machined for a PTO.

JohnDeereJimOhio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: battery box or pan seat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just switched mine to a k&k aluminum flat back mine was a
box seat and I switched it out to a pan seat.. The pan seat is a
little heavyier than the box however.. The pan looks better my
.02$ and I needed to move my battery out front for extra
weight out there anyway.. The heaviest piece of the pan seat
is the piece of channel the seat connects too.. I may make that
out of aluminum after I see how much weight I lost this winter
off it..

jd b puller
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: battery box or pan seat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your goal is to save weight, the flatback is probably the heaviest light thing you can do. Yeah you save weight over the powertrol, but leaving a lot of unneccessary iron on there.

I had a flatback on mine. Removed the flatback, seat pedestal, hitch and adjusters off and made a "all-in-one" cover, hitch, seat, adjuster and saved about 80# over what I had.

The channel seat mount was about 50#
The hitch, drawbar, etc, was 75# (don"t forget to take that triangle piece off under the tractor).
The flatback I removed was about 10-15# if I recall.

This was on a B, on a G, all those weights would go up and the all in one would weigh 60# give or take.

The new combo weighed 46#.

Early B

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: battery box or pan seat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just finished an alum. seat post for my B thet weighed about
9lbs w/foot pan & brake levers. I used 1/4 x 2in square tube for
the post & 1/4 plate for the rest. I think the org. w/spring & all
was around 40lbs

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.