Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jm.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had horse drawn implements the other day but I did not have the photos. This CHATTANOOGA disk reversible plow was made here in Tennessee. My father in law who passed away at 93 had owned this plow. It is in perfect working condition. Kinda neat how you release the tongue and let the horses walk around, seat goes with the tongue.
I managed to get it sandblasted an primed but have not been able to determine what color it should be painted.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's different. I've got a few Chattanooga pieces but nothing like that one.

MtMan

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Real nice piece of equipment. What I don't understand is how the team of horses was hitched to the plow. If there was no long tongue in it and they weren't plowing , what would keep it from running into the horses.

jm.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mt Man I was not there so really do not know but was told a "double tree" or something like a long beam fasten there to the tongue . And in fact it may have had a tongue for all I know. This is just all I found in the weeds. I think there are photos in the family of him plowing with the plow so I will check it out.

pat sublett
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't imagine it beeing any color but red.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jm.,
That would be really interesting to see someone actually plowing with it. Have to see if I can find any on YouTube.

550Doug
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try this
chattanooga disk plow

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On normal bottom type of sulky plows there ws no long toung, the double tree just hooked to the plow.

jm.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leroy that was also my understanding.

jm.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pat do you have something definitive that leads you to believe that or are you just guessing. Like do you have a Chattanooga plow that is red?
Could not get the You Tube to open.

Hammer house
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

J M, that is an unusuel nice good looking plow. I have never seen one just like it. But I have not seen them all.
Mine has A heavy chain that, I think you hook the double- tree to. I think they both did not have A tongue.I will show A closeup of mine.

Hammer Man

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

550Doug,
Pretty neat. Thanks. Wish they would have shown it turning too.

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great Pictures JM and Hammer Man.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leroy wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:46:22 04/24/13) On normal bottom type of sulky plows there ws no long toung, the double tree just hooked to the plow.

Depends on what type of sulky plow you have. Most of the frameless type have no tongue, but most all of the framed do. For instance, I've never seen a two way, a very common plow up here, without a pole.

There are pics of Chatanoogas early advertising online if you do some searching. Might give you a clue to paint colors.

ohiojim
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: HORSE DRAWN PLOW PHOTOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what's the second disc for..?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.