Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MH33/44 Injection Pump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFJohn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: MH33/44 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a MH 33 diesel with an American Bosch PSB injection pump. Does anybody know if when the marked gear tooth lines up with the "0" mark on the pump housing (this is necessary to remove/install pump head), the timing line on the pump hub (viewable through the timing window) should line up with the timing pointer? According to instructions in past posts on this forum, sometimes the marked gear is supposed to line up with the "0" when the timing line is lined up with the pointer, and sometimes it's supossed to be one gear tooth off. (I found the pump adjusted one tooth off.)
I've got the pump reassembled so both lines line-up at the same time and the engine runs OK, but I'm thinking that maybe intead of running 24 BTDC, I'm running closer to 30 BTDC.
I've seen recommendations to do it both ways in past posts on this forum. Maybe it depends on the engine?
Then again, if somebody can tell me how to adjust the timing by looking at the exhaust and monitoring the rpm, I'll just do it that way and call it good enough.

Dieseltech
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: MH33/44 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With hub mark aligned with pointer the head marked tooth will be one tooth past the housing mark when head is installed correctly. Head is installed with tappet at base circle of cam lobe, just starting to lift the tappet. When hub mark and pointer line up tappet has started up the cam ramp. this will be port closing, begining of injection. My IT MH book shows it wrong, but my IT Oliver 77, 88, 99 has it right.

Dieseltech
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: MH33/44 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, changing head drive gear tooth position will NOT change the timing, hub mark to flywheel does. Moving head gear controls port alignment to correct cylinder injector. Make sure the head plunger drive in the gear is good. If cracked or broken cylinder phase timing will be off far enough to keep it from running.

MFJohn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MH33/44 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting... It appears to run OK with the head gear off one tooth. there must be enough of a plunger/port overlap to still allow the nozzles to work properly. Nuts. I'll have to pull the pump (again!) to reposition the quill shaft. I'll let you know how it turns out in the end. Thanks!

Dieseltech
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: MH33/44 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just pull the head and move the drive gear one tooth. Head and quill shaft are installed at same cam location, with tappet just beginning to start up ramp but still on base circle. This is when quill gear cutout should be to install head with tooth notch lined with housing mark. Even if quill is in wrong, find where head will lift out and move one tooth. No need to remove complete pump.

MFJohn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: MH33/44 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good idea. By the way, checking the American Bosch manuals I have, for the PSB pump models with the internal spring governor, the head is timed like I have it now. (I incorrectly used that procedure to reassemble the pump.) For the models with the external governor, they're "timed to port closing" like you said.

MFJohn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: MH33/44 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I just pull the head to change the timing, I can fix the quill shaft to head timing, but then the pump to engine timing will be incorrect (as indicated by the timing line and pointer). I pulled the pump and corrected the quill shaft to head timing. Now all the timing marks will line up like you said. After reassembly, the engine seems to run the same as before the change, but it"s probably easier on the pump to have the port opening correctly synced with the plunger stroke. Thanks for your help.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.