Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Miter saw recommendations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlpintx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Need recommendations on purchasing miter saw. Needing first for trim work but want something that will work well with structural lumber and maybe light metal. Looking at dewalt 12 inch double bevel without slide.

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a DW705 that I have used pretty hard for the last few years after buying it used. It was $150 when I bought it.
Zach

Brian Dan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have and use a Porter Cable 12". The saw if very accurate and has good power.
Brian

State of Jefferson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought my Makita LS1212 about a dozen years ago. Used it HARD for several years, and it's just now starting to show some signs of wear.

Worked with a guy this winter who had the Bosch saw with the double-action hinge for the slide. Took some getting used to, but I may buy one to replace my makita, when the time comes. The controlls for the miter and bevel were more convenient, and the extra width capacity was handy.

Ben

loko17
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a 10" Dewalt miter saw when they first came out (before the new 12" models with all of the bells and whistles came out). I have nothing but good things to say about that saw. It cuts trim work like butter as smooth as if it was cut with a razor and handles framing lumber equally well..

Tom-NoCenTX

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get the 12 inch double bevel, sliding model. But, buy a separate cut off (chop) saw fro your metal work. Cutting metal with a good working saw is a big mistake. Tom

dcarp
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had the Dewalt 12 in for about 5 yrs now. Works like a dream. Change blades & cut anything you want. Accurate, clean cuts every time. I've used it to cut everything from trim to deck boards.

BAnNC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bosch would get my vote too. 10" or 12", slide, dual miter, compound. Pretty pricey but will do anything any other one will do. Well made unit.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had a Makita 10" double angle slider for maybe 5 years or so and it seems to be holding up well. Once I got it set it has stayed right on for accuracy. When I bought it I grabbed every brand of saw and wiggled them to see how much flex they had. This Makita had the least amount of flex and movement. I'm not proclaiming Makita to be the best but I'm real satisfied with the consistent accuracy of this one I bought. Jim

Vito
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get the 12' Dewalt with the slide.Have used them for 13 years now.I have the second generation now.The only thing I don't like is the sawdust collection system on this one.The original had a better system.

Vito

Vito
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get the 12 inch Dewalt with the slide.Have used them for 13 years now.I have the second generation now.The only thing I don't like is the sawdust collection system on this one.The original had a better system.My younger brother still uses it.

Vito

mgriff543
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had the Dewalt 12" no slide since the mid 90s with no complaints. I put a better then original blade for trim work and since I usually stay less then 7" widths in 4/4 it does pretty good.

Bryan inIowa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought a 10 inch compound slider from HF years ago,,I work this thing pretty hard , trim , framing ,you name it Still works like new . paid $99 for it .

VernMI

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an older Delta 12" that has a 96 tooth blade on it and it works very well and provides a very smooth cut. It has the table extension that makes it easier to use than the short table saws that I have used. The Porter Cable saws look like the same thing as the older Delta saws. Soft start feature is nice to help keep the stock in place when the saw first ramps up to speed.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Miter saw recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Rigid 12" sliding miter. No complaints, and it cuts a wider board, than the same style, in a Dewalt. One point I would like to make, Don't use a good wood saw for metal, you'll quickly ruin it. Buy a cheap abrasive chop saw, for metal.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.