Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ford 4000

View previous topic :: View next topic  
haugk

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: ford 4000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i purchased a ford 4000 3 cyl. gas tractor. i drained the fluids. it was sitting for a couple years. i got some water out of oil drain probably due to condensation? drained transmission got a little water and drained rear axle. i flushed crankcase with some kerosene to get some of the slugde out hopefully its ok to do that? should i flush transmission and rear axle before putting fresh oil in? if so what do i use to flush? any suggestions? i am planning on putting trans hydraulic oil compatible witrh m2c134d in both trans and rear axle ok?

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i probably would not have flushed the crankcase with kero.. but it's done.. so can't change that.

I usually DO add some diesel to the trans and diffy/hyd oil prior to chanigng them however.

if you don't mind the cost of the kero / diesel, and have a way to dispose of it. and the sump was wet.. I'd do this.

mix up diesel/kero/mineral spirits. a quart or 2 of cheap f type atf or dex/mer 3 and a couple pints of drug store 90% rubbing alcohol.

dump that in there agitate and rinse. ;)

grabs water real well.

then go in with utf.

that's pretty much my standard treatment on a new to me tractor if I suspect anyting other than immaculate maintenance by the prev owner.

haugk

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when u said i should not have put kerosene in crank case did i harm it? or can i use the recipe u gave me and put in crankcase? the mixture u gave me how much kero? how much diesel? and how much mineral spirits? what do u mean by agitate it? tractor is not running yet did i harm crankcase?

haugk

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

another question what do u rinse it with meaning u said agitate and rinse? thx

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you didn't harm the crankcase washing it with kerosene.. but I wouldn't do that unless i was tearing it down. vapors and all.. etc..

no i would NOT flush an engine with any of those mixes.

when i mix.. I usually use a gallon of diesel to a quart of atf to a pint of alcohol.

rinse as in drain.

Brian in MA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"immaculate maintenance by the previous owner" is a funny comment. I am generally hoping and praying for ANY maintenance by the previous owner, or owners.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yup... seesm like some people buy tractors and when the original oil and grease in it are used up.. they let it set till it dies and is old and stuck.. or keep runnning it till it is near ruined.... Sad

Fuddy Duddy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's pretty good Sound Guy. Can I get your recipe for Blue Berry Muffins while we are at it? O'course I'm just kidding with you. You do a great job on this board and we all appreciate it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.