Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rant on chinese parts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I modified the shroud on the new H radiator so it would fit. I went to put the grill on and the holes do not line up with holes in grill.

I would re-core next time.

That is the replacement radiator that lost the battle with the bale spear on 4020 JD.

mike1972chev
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It I a shame one has a hard time finding a GOOD radiator these days. Sad

Harvey 2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The China person that built it probably didn't have a clue to what the end product wood look like or ever heard of a tractor.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I kept my old one with the big hole in it, will re-core it if this one fails.

ken house
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the chinese government is not our friend. do not buy products from china. money is being used against us. same goes for arabs.

AG in IN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gotta love may-fit parts. Radiators for H's and M's aren't easy to allign everything properly when the radiator is built properly. They are a serious pain to get everything close to where it should be when everything is built just a bit off.

I get mine repaired or re-cored when needed, even if I have to buy a junk one that's better than mine to get re-cored. It's easily worth twice the cost of this imported crap. Everything on a new one is lighter than the originals. I hope your new one doesn't spring a leak. We have 3 decent radiator shops within 50 miles. Two sell the new imports. Neither want to repair the new ones they sell. The third shop won't touch them either.

My theory on Chineese parts:

Made-in-China,
Made-in-China,
How can you tell that it is made in China?
It doesn't fit,
It's built like s--t,
It makes you curse and throw a fit,
You throw your hard earned money away,
For a piece of crap that doesn't do the job correctly anyway.

AG

Last edited by AG in IN on Wed May 01, 2013 5:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Super H Mike
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The auto restoration parts that come from China are the same way, sorta fit , sorta dont.

mike1972chev
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some more "food for thought" here:

Radiator repair,for the MOST part is sort of a "cottage" industry.(Like the local machine shops,etc.) I S L O W L Y see these getting smaller as disappearing by the years around me. Sad One reason adding to this IS The fact many have chosen to buy a "chinkey",inferior replacement part other than support a more local reputable rebuilder maybe???? (I am guilty of this my self some times.)

I ALSO fear the loss of folks that ARE technical like the local repair/rebuilders. It seems to be a MORE disappearing art to me????

Are we "selling out" to foreign entititys????

Super H Mike
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just to add to your thoughts Mike, there are those times when no other alternative is available except a China re-do, thats a shame .
There is only one radiator guy left around me, and he is unfortunately not very reputable, which is rare I believe for the trade. Still better with good used OEM if you can locate it.

AG in IN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mike1972chev wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:06:36 05/01/13) Some more "food for thought" here:

Radiator repair,for the MOST part is sort of a "cottage" industry.(Like the local machine shops,etc.) I S L O W L Y see these getting smaller as disappearing by the years around me. Sad One reason adding to this IS The fact many have chosen to buy a "chinkey",inferior replacement part other than support a more local reputable rebuilder maybe???? (I am guilty of this my self some times.)

I ALSO fear the loss of folks that ARE technical like the local repair/rebuilders. It seems to be a MORE disappearing art to me????

Are we "selling out" to foreign entititys????

I hate to make this even remotely political. I don't see how to avoid it.

I'd say we're selling out to foreign entities, but it's a forced sell-out. EPA, OSHA, local DEQ's, and empty consumer pockets are forcing manufacturing out and repair shops under. Common sense, pollution control, and safety in the workplace were enforced by the government, now extremes are enforced. Logic is out the window. You'll never be in compliance fully with these agencies and even if you think you are today, you won't be tomorrow. Some jobs will always have risks and potential health hazards to complete them. The Fed's want zero risks or health hazards. The insurance industry is now in the captain's chair to push this, too. Fed's seem thrilled no more "dirty" jobs are being created and more leave for foreign shores or shut down every day. Whoever survives is taxed into near-extinction. Soon there will be few left with the skills to do something like radiator repair, fewer left to teach the fewer still willing to learn and fewer still that will be able to offer these services to the public and operate a business successfully. The gov't doesn't want you or I fixing this old stuff anyway, especially if we intend to use it. They don't want the pollution caused by this old stuff. They want us buying new, and new with a lack of longevity so we come back and buy new again and again. They want you and I out stimulating the economy with our new purchases even if we bury ourselves in debt to do it. They want this old stuff scrapped and on a boat to China.

Lack of current leadership feels all Americans should have a college degree, and nobody should have to pay for the privilege of obtaining one. I doubt radiator repair will be taught at a college or university. He thinks Americans are "above" this kind of work. Some things can't always be taught in a classroom anyway, and some that are taught in a classroom can be better learned by some person to person or can sometimes even be self-taught.

Most people believe cheapest is best today. There's a large portion of our country that looks for the lowest price on a product, and that's the only selling point they worry about. Many don't have a choice. This partially due to the evolution of middle-class America becoming, well, something lower than middle-class. The money many times simply isn't there to buy the "better" product even when the desire is there to do so. Some don't even realize or care that they've bought something 5 times in 10 years and spent 3 times the $$$ they could have spent on the good item that would have lasted most or all of 10 years in the first place. When the folks that made the good item are gone, you're stuck with what's available.

I'm guessing, but I feel it's an educated guess that a top quality US made radiator for a Farmall H would probably have to retail somewhere around $1000 or even higher to be a profitable product. If it was built to exacting specs and of the highest quality, how many would sell? Would 1 in 10 sold for a Farmall H be the better one? Nobody can justify building a good one here with that kind of outlook, and even the best of intentions of building a good one elsewhere usually lead to an inferior quality product. Few, if any thoughts about quality control exist in China.

Sorry if this awakes the poof-monster. It isn't my intention to.

AG

Last edited by AG in IN on Wed May 01, 2013 11:21 am; edited 3 times in total
bobs old iron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SAM WALTON- [wall-mart] is turnin over in his grave,, he was for "AMERICA", "american made" and sold in his stores,, guess what happened when he passed, his family/corp found out they could make more money from buying 'you know what/where' junk.. no pride in keeping jobs/material in U-S-A,, just a money thing to them..
plus half of america industry's are following suite..

Duanes
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Amen Ag. Maybe I can"t say Amen anymore!

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just because someone doesn't know how to tear down a Farmall H and build it back up good as new doesn't make them unqualified to make a radiator. It's not the poor working stiff on the line's fault anyway. They're making the product they were instructed to make, using the specifications they were given, with the materials they were given, and with the tools they were given.

If an American were producing these shoddy radiators, you'd blame everyone but the guy on the line. Be fair at least.

I really don't know that the government "wants" anything nefarious. They are trying to outlaw pollution, injury, and death with no regard to how it affects anything else.

I'm sitting here right now with a splint and a big wad of ace bandage on my left leg because I stepped in a hole while clearing brush last year and twisted my ankle., Turned out I needed surgery to repair the damage.

I dread what the grandstanding politicians would do if they caught wind of my plight... Next thing you know someone will be trying to outlaw holes, or outlaw clearing brush.

Old weldor

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

People have to be employed to buy goods.greedy company's want to ship everything somewhere they can get it done cheaper. That's what's wrong with our country today. So keep on buying those kubotas and toyota tundras and see what choices you have in a few more years.look what's happened to Detroit mich.

Jon Hagen
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rant on chinese parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember when Walmart stores had signs saying they tried to compete selling as many US made products as possible.

They finally had to abandon that when the competition started eating them for lunch with lower priced imprt products. Had they stayed with the american only policy, they would be only a memory like woolworth stores.

Much production from China is good quality, I am generally quite satisfied but it seems slow moving limited production parts are made in mostly small, backally shops in china where the can not or have no incentive to produce a good quality part that fits and works. I had the same bad experience with the incredibly shoddy workmanship of a small US company that built the Hoof / Roof governor for my Spra-Coupe.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.