Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Case 444 repower with 20 HP Kohler Command

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Determined
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Case 444 repower with 20 HP Kohler Command Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Came across a Kohler Command horizontal shaft 20HP in good shape and plan on putting it on a Case 444.
Has anybody here tried this swap before?
If so what problems did you run into?
Not worried about the hood as I usually run without it.
Dave

MtMan

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 444 repower with 20 HP Kohler Command Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 646 with a Kohler engine and it's okay. The only problem I've had was the bracket between the engine and pump broke and Ingersol could not or would not get me one to fit. They only had the one for the Onan engine. I finally got my old bracket repaired and no trouble. The tricky part is getting both shafts lined up. Mine has a love-joy connector between the two units.

Determined
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 444 repower with 20 HP Kohler Command Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MtMan Is your Kohler a K series engine or a Command series?
What HP is on yours?
I have several of the K series parts motors that the 444 came with from factory as well several different sizes of the lovejoy couplers so I am hoping the mounting bracket/flange will work on the Command series engine.
Dave

MtMan

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 444 repower with 20 HP Kohler Command Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe my engine is a K series and it's 20 hp and its a 2 cylinder engine. It was in the tractor when I purchased it.

Ken Combs
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Case 444 repower with 20 HP Kohler Command Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The major issue with engine swaps into Case stuff, is the PTO clutch. Needs to bolt to the flywheel and in the correct fore and aft location to line up the belts.

Ken Combs
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Case 444 repower with 20 HP Kohler Command Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Likely the reason Ingersoll couldn't help is that they never installed that engine in that tractor. It was a swap with a non-Case/Ingersoll adapter.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.