Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I use Hy-Tran?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkmdg84
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was at the local Case dealership and I asked them about the oil they have in store for transmission/differential/rear axle/steering that would work for a '45 B. The guy said just to use Hy-Tran. He didn"t seem too focused on helping me out, so I wanted to double check before I bought a bucket. Will Hy-Tran work for those components? Is it heavy enough?

Old weldor

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use 80 w 90 gear oil.

Wisconsin Cowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wouldn't use Hy-Tran I would use 85w140 gear oil.

buzzinduzzin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GL 5 rated have zinc additives, it attacks brass etc.

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hytran will leak more readily and it will take longer to be able to shift gears since it will not slow down the spinning transmission as quickly.
Zach

ShaggyM

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use 80/90 in my Super A and B. The A has been on a 10yrs worth of tractor rides.
I have Hytran in my Super C and it rols real easy!But that was for a tractor pull this past winter.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No it's not heavy enough. Use SAE 90, 80W90 or preferably 85W140.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Support for your warning
Why GL5 and GL6 are not GL4
A report

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had good luck with 85W-140

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No Hy-Tran use 90wt. The level plug is behind the left brake rod. Final drive fill to 1 inch below the fill plug. You should drain the old stuff out of the tranny then put a gal of Diesel in and drive around a little to get a good flush. You can add some new lube in the pto but it will fill to desired level after driving as there is a channel in the tranny that drains to the pto.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For the most part if your tractor was made before 1955, you use heavy gear lube in the transmission. Only exception I can think of is the Super MTA, because of the TA, it needs lighter oil, like Hytran.

mike1972chev
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just to add, I ALSO had an IH dealer try and sell me Hy Tran for my Super M rear once.(It is NOT an MTA!) I beleive it was the people on this sight that set me straight to use regular gear lube? ;)

I wonder why they do this????

JJ in NE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have done it both ways. I have two Farmall M tractors . One has 80w-90 in it and the other has Hytran in it . The one with hytran in it ,has had all the seals changed . Most original seals were of a leather nature and with hytran they will leak because the leather will not stay soft and plyable . The M with the Hytran has the newer seals rubber/neoprene . The Hytran has a additive that keeps seals plyable. I have pulled this M in tractor pulls and have plowed with it and never had any issues with it not being heavy enough, causing bearing failures .
My suggestion to you is use 80w-90 or 85w-140 if your tractor has not had transmission and axles seals replaced. Both oils will work. I use hytran in all my hydraulic systems and transmissions even in my John Deeres" .The M with the hytran has had it in the tractor for at least 20 years . It is a daily user. Sorry for the long rant but this has been my experience . Use what is available and what you are comfortable with in this case.

JJ.

jkmdg84
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So should a person be trying to find some of the SAE 90 oil? A lot of the 80W90 and 85W140 that you can buy is GL5 rated.

dej(Jed)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Should I use Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Janicholson wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:19:38 05/01/13)
Support for your warning
Why GL5 and GL6 are not GL4
A report

FYI: About the author:
Richard Widman's name doesn't appear to be associated with any form of Lubrication Certification in the world. Seems to be some sort of a Nissan guy.
World wide Lubrication Certified people are listed at the following web site:
http://www.stle.org/certifications/cls/default.aspx

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.