Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carb kit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrison58
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Carb kit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my farmall h I'm doing a carb rebuild and the instructions with the kit leave something to be desired. Can anyone help me on this or or lead me to a web site or something to clear things up, these instructions have no pictures and I'm unclear of all the parts names. Thanks,

stumper
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb kit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

try this link (hope it worked)stumper
Untitled URL Link

FBH44
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb kit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here"s previous advice how to adjust things;

Make sure the float isn"t sticking or touching the insides of the float chamber. Some previous advice was to use a Dremel tool and smooth the insides of the float chamber so it doesn"t rub or touch. Pretty important. Set the float so the top of it rests 1 27/32" above the flat surface of the float chamber.
Initial settings as follows to get it started;
Main fuel adjusting screw, big screw facing down at an angle, towards the rear, at the bottom of the carb; 2 1/2 to 3 turns open. This main screw turns clock-wise for leaner mixture.
Idle fuel-mixture screw, smaller screw facing forwards, on upper left-hand side of carb; 1 to 1 1/2 turns open. This idle screw turns counter-clockwise for leaner.
Idle speed screw, faces outboard, at the top of the carb; set for 450 rpm, and make sure the governor correctly engages the slot.
Get the engine warmed up, and idling.
Turn OUT the idle fuel-mixture screw until rough running, then turn in until it idles smooth. (Mine is set at 1 turn open.)
Rev it up, wide open, warmed up, then turn the main fuel adjusting screw IN until rough, then out til smooth, then 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn further out. As I say, mine sits at 1 turn open. (Other advice has been to set it at 2 1/2 turns open for pulling implements.)
Should rev up smoothly and evenly.
Too Lean = stumble, sputter, damaged melted plugs.
Correct = tan plugs.
Too Rich = back smoke, black sooty plugs.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Carb kit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it the original Zenith or a Marvel Shebler only the dual fuel ones had a mixture at the bottom of the bowl. Must have a cheap kit that doesent have clear instructions. Is the new needls have a rubber tip or is it steel and is it the same length as the ols one. How are the bushings in the throtle shaft and does it have a new throttle shaft.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Carb kit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thingamajig and whozamawhatsit are perfectly acceptable terms. You don't need to know what things are called, just match up the old parts with the new parts and replace like-for-like.

"Gasket" covers 90% of the parts anyway.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Carb kit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FBH44 wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:20:34 05/02/13) Here"s previous advice how to adjust things;

Make sure the float isn"t sticking or touching the insides of the float chamber. Some previous advice was to use a Dremel tool and smooth the insides of the float chamber so it doesn"t rub or touch. Pretty important. Set the float so the top of it rests 1 27/32" above the flat surface of the float chamber.
Initial settings as follows to get it started;
Main fuel adjusting screw, big screw facing down at an angle, towards the rear, at the bottom of the carb; 2 1/2 to 3 turns open. This main screw turns clock-wise for leaner mixture.
Idle fuel-mixture screw, smaller screw facing forwards, on upper left-hand side of carb; 1 to 1 1/2 turns open. This idle screw turns counter-clockwise for leaner.
Idle speed screw, faces outboard, at the top of the carb; set for 450 rpm, and make sure the governor correctly engages the slot.
Get the engine warmed up, and idling.
Turn OUT the idle fuel-mixture screw until rough running, then turn in until it idles smooth. (Mine is set at 1 turn open.)
Rev it up, wide open, warmed up, then turn the main fuel adjusting screw IN until rough, then out til smooth, then 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn further out. As I say, mine sits at 1 turn open. (Other advice has been to set it at 2 1/2 turns open for pulling implements.)
Should rev up smoothly and evenly.
Too Lean = stumble, sputter, damaged melted plugs.
Correct = tan plugs.
Too Rich = back smoke, black sooty plugs.

I have rebuilt a BUNCH of H carburetors, and I mean a bunch. I have NEVER felt the need to resort to something as drastic as the use of a dremel tool to smooth up the fuel bowl. Those carburetors have been in use for 60 to 70 years now and none have ever been even close to a dremel tool. Why would anyone think it is a good idea now?

Wayne in MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Carb kit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Be sure the idle air jet is clean! IF you cannot remove it, take a copper wire strand & poke through the jet. one strand of tail light wire works great and there is no damage to the internal jet using copper wire.
I use brake cleaner(carb cleaner leaves a slight residue) to spray through all passages followed by compressed air for final cleaning.

Harrison58
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb kit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help everyone. I got it put back together now just got to get everything set! It was great to hear it run after 15 years of sitting! Thanks agin

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.