Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transit needed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug in Illinois
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need to level a couple spots, one for a pole barn 40x60 and the other for a 24 foot above ground pool.

The "cheap" transits are for indoor use only. I am hoping to get one for about $250 or so.

I am looking at a Dewalt DW090PK 20X on Amazon. Still made of plastic, but should work for my needs IF it will shoot a readable signal for about 70 feet or so.

DOUG

LP GAS ONLY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I seen a guy that had a couple of milk tank sight glasses hooked together with a hose. He filled the glass about half full with water and placed one end in one corner and then walked around with the other end that had tape markings on it to set his grade. Worked great.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heck you don't need anything as sophisticated as milk sight glasses. All you need is a clear tube of some sort.

That said, you can RENT a transit from a tool rental shop. Sunbelt is a national chain that rents transits. $26/day, $86/week, $185/month. If you've got a place nearby that rents construction equipment they should have transits.

Jim in Ma.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would use a length of clear tubing with water in for what you want.
I have a Dewalt lazar level but for small jobs like that I still use the clear tube. It's quick and easy.

JerryBowers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You certainly do not need a 'transit' to do a little leveling. And, the Dewalt instrument you referenced does not 'shoot' anything (like a laser beam) out. It requires two people to operate it: One is the instrument man, the other is the rod man. Transits are used to 'turn' angles and set grades. While they work for simple leveling, they are way beyond what your described use would require.

If you are going to be doing a lot of leveling, the laser leveling systems will put out a laser 'line' that can be read off a rod. These are one person systems. Still expensive, but usually self leveling and only require one person. Again, only necessary for doing lots of leveling.

If you only need a simple level to set some vertical elevations, get a 'level' with a built in laser beam. The best ones can mount on any standard tripod (like a camaer tripod) and are readable at distances up to ~100 feet, You set the level up pointed in the direction you want to level, turn on the laser and put a rod (I use a tape measure or my 'rod' made from a 10' piece of marked electrical conduit) in the beam and note the differences along the laser line.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup. Water level works great. Fill the tube with water, work the bubbles out and water finds its own level. Start on the high or low side, depending on what you need to do. Keep that end on the mark and adjust the other water by raising or lowering the tube.

Larry

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I purchased a self leveling dewalt rotating laser when I built a 30x40 barn. I figured at the time, the 30x50 concrete slap I wanted to put down would cost me about $100 per 1/4 inch. So, I wanted the ground to be as level as possible.

It is for outdoor use and is accurate up to 300 feet. It uses 18 volt dewalt batteries too.

I feel the laser transit paid for itself the first time I used it. The perlins and floor are as level as it gets.

It was nice when I built a 26x26 room addition too.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fergienewbee wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:37:41 05/02/13) Yup. Water level works great. Fill the tube with water, work the bubbles out and water finds its own level. Start on the high or low side, depending on what you need to do. Keep that end on the mark and adjust the other water by raising or lowering the tube.

Larry
Used my regular garden hose with 2 feet of clear tube on each end. Worked as well as when they built the pyramids! Smile

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Instead of buying one, check the rental places, if it's just a one time deal, that would be the way to go. We own a David White transit,because of all the buildings and ground leveling we had to do. Our cost was justified for that many uses,and projects, just used it last year for our tractor shed (unfinished). Hope this helps.
LOU

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with the others - you don't need a transit. When I put the addition on my house all I used was a water level.
I cleaned out an empty calk tube and shoved the spout into a clear plastic hose. Made it easier to fill the hose.

JerryBowers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

George:

A small detail, but your Dewalt rotating laser is not a 'transit.' It is a level. A really good level, but still just a level.

A TRANSIT is a tripod mounted telescope that can precisely measure both horizontal and vertical angles. It is normally used in conjunction with a surveyor's rod, thus requiring two people (instrument man & rod man) to operate. Theodolites are similar, but generally more accurate than simple transits. A ". . . laser transit . . ." is a transit (as above), with a laser attached to the telescope. This combination is sometimes used to help with targeting, but the laser beam is not part of the transit.

Jerry

JerryBowers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Udog:

Great idea on the empty caulking tube. Way better than the funnel I usually stick in my Tygon tubing!
Jerry

tomtirediron
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have the same one George, REALLY happy with it and the accuracy has stayed pretty good over the last 10 years I've owned mine. Used it dozens of times from hanging a suspended ceiling to laying drainage pipe.

PJH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Doug - they're right on the water level being what you need.

For the pool, I've leveled several above ground pool installations with a simple hand level (the type you look thru). I duct taped it to the end of a 1X2 cut for my eye level. Find the exact center to lay out and paint your radius, then set a block or something solid exactly in the center to set your 1X2 on. You'll need a rodman to check the grade. Working from the center, you eliminate any error that's built into the instrument. That's the first basic rule in layout work - set your level in the very center, if possible. The modern levels are very accurate, but it's still smart to work from the center - if possible.

craigco
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Transit needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most rental places will have a laser that sends a signal to a receiver on your grade rod. Then to get real fancy get some hubs and whiskers to put in the ground. Then you can set your hubs in one shot and then grade to the whiskers. what we do anyway.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.