Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tractor that has set up awhile

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a John Deere 40 that is one of those "supposed to have ran" in the not too distant past types of deals.
I"ve never bought anything before that does not run at all. Starter is dead, but almost started a few times when I banged on it. Motor is not stuck. Should I remove plugs and put some type of lubricant in to soak while the starter is off at the shop? Thanks in advance

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

can't hurt to put some older atf type f or dex/merc 3 in it. course i woulda done that prior to turing engine over to prevent broke rings and all..e tc.

remember to remove spark plugs prior to turning her over again so the oil will be expelled and not hydro lock her.

JEC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I"m pretty new with old tractors and didn"t know to put anything in cylinders until I read up on a stuck tractor. I don"t "think" it has set up too long. Gas is good, plugs look like a good running motor. No antifreeze in oil or oil in antifreeze, or water in motor. Guy I got it from got it in on a trade and he doesn"t know much about it other than what people told him. How much do you suggest to put in cylinders?

JerryS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe you didn't follow what Soundguy said: automatic transmission fluid, type F.

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the problem really the starter? Before you remove the starter, check the solenoid and check the battery cable, especially the contact area at the other end of the ground cable!

JEC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got the atf type f. I asked how much?

JerryS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jeez! I misread what you said!

Anyway, I think a couple of tablespoons in each cylinder is about right. Again, whatever amount, just make sure you squeeze it back out.

JEC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will do, thanks.

JEC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fill the cylinders with ATF put the plugs back in and then pour ATF down the exhaust pipe. Let it sit a couple days that way. Then pull the plugs out and turn the engine over. If you can rig a way to catch the ATF then that is all that much better so as not to make a big mess. The ATF will free up sticking rings and valves and that in turn will bring compression up a good bit. As for the starter if tapping on it helped it then may need new brushes

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use any type of ATF and since I have Chev truck I use the Dextron type of ATF and has worked just fine for over a decade and I have freed up many struck engines with it

Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you might have lucked out. Since it is not stuck. Good advice with the ATF in the cylinders, however any gas left in it is almost certainly not good. The stuff with ethanol in it sometimes will go bad in as little as three months if not treated. Might as well save yourself trouble and drain it &put some fresh in it. Most likely the carb will need a good cleaning, but it may start and run without it. You may have some stuck valves too. If they are the ATF may free them.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

split the quart between the 4 cyls, and save some for the gas tank and the oil.

a few ounces in each cyl is plenty.

adding it to the gas will help upper cuyl lube.

adding it to the oil prior to change.. but after running, will help witht he drain out.

on a new to me machine.. I have added 1/4 quart to a gallon of gas for testing. 1 quart in crankcase. and another quart split betweent he cyls.

atf is cheap and decent stuff.

old popper
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The John Deere 40's that I have seen are two (2) cylinders. LOL

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor that has set up awhile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

and? what's the big deal on a typo?

if he can't figure out how many cyl's it has. he needs to hang it up before he starts.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.