Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hotter spark plug

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Reineke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1941 farmall H which uses a autolite 3116 spark plug. Does any one no where I can find a hotter plug for this tractor. The champion crossed referance one is no hotter.

The Red
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob I have had real good luck with AC 386 plugs. Got rid of all the Champions.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Best I recall the Autolite 3116 is in the vicinity of the heat range around a 386 or hotter 388 Autolite. However its a non resistor plug I believe which Id especially recommend if you had a Magneto Ignition.

Other things which can help if fouling is a problem for which youre seeking a hotter plug is to use hotter thermostats (if a T stat tractor) or radiator air deflectors or shutters etc TO RAISE THE OPERATING TEMPERATURE,,,Dont run the carb richer then necessary,,,,,,,,Use wire core plug wires, keep the ignition well tuned.

John T

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would agree with John T, warmer engine makes for less fouling.

I put thermostat in my H, runs much better.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why do you want hotter??? Does it use a lot of oil or what?? You can only go so hot before doing so causes many other problems like holes burned in the pistons and or burnt valves.

Bob Reineke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK thanks for the tip

Bob Reineke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the info

Bob Reineke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK thanks for your input

Bob Reineke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive tryed about everthing I can, and gas keeps fouling the plug once it runs a short time

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob Reineke wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:36:58 05/02/13) Ive tryed about everthing I can, and gas keeps fouling the plug once it runs a short time

If the carburetor is set so rich that one plug is getting fouled, ALL of the plugs would be fouling.

I'm wondering if maybe the tractor does not get worked hard enough? Possibly the cylinders are all sooted up and it is a piece of that soot that comes loose, and THAT is what is fouling the plugs?

I will suggest starting it up, and then take it out and make it WORK. HARD. Put it on the road in 5th gear and pull the throttle back. Take it up and down a few hills. Don't stop until after the heat gauge has moved into the "run" zone.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have substantial experience with single plug fowling. It has always been an issue with oil. Stuck rings and over oiling of the walls, or worn ring lands pumping oil up top where it fowls a plug, or moderately worn valve guides. The guides are nearly cost free to fix with umbrella seals under the retainers. and that should be task #1.
The other issues are rebuild time.
A warm engine that has been leaned (as you indicated earlier)Will vaporize fuel readily. Oil has both ash, and metallic compounds it it that are nearly invisible but conduct electricity down the center electrode fouling the plug. Jim

GRAPE-DRANK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can use any spark plug you want. Richardson Engineering And Machining.

Sparkplugadapters.com

They have all the specs for Farmalls or whatever else.

Last edited by GRAPE-DRANK on Thu May 02, 2013 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Reineke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks

Bob Reineke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK thanks I'll try that. It doesn't get worked hard
at all.

Bob Reineke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hotter spark plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for that good information. I'll try what you suggest

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.