Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT chev won't start

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delvaughn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a 95 cavalier, 2.2. Fuel pump won"t run. Checked fuse, ok. Replaced relay from napa no help. So thinking pump was bad. Replaced pump but the pump still won"t run even for the normal 2 sec when key is turned on. Have no voltage were the pump wireing harness plugs into the car harness junction block at the fuel tank with the key turned on in the run prostion.

Any ideas on what to check next? Oil pressure switch maybe? Thanks in advance.

hdheritage
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the trunk,there is a emergency shut off behind one of the side panels. It might have tripped. John

Ken(Ark)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No magic buttons on GM's

This link might help

http://autoforums.carjunky.com/Automotive_Repair_C1/General_Discussions_F5/95_cavalier_no_fuel_pressure_P23635/

Delvaughn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I checked the trunk for a emergency shut off like you said but I didn't find anything that looked like a shut off switch in there.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been a while since I looked at one of these, but do you have
power AND ground to your fuel pump relay activating coil?
The safety shutdown relay (ASR I think it's called)
shuts off one or the other if the sensors tell it to.
I can't tell you what all sensors there are to cause this to happen,
others may be able to. Hobo probably works on these things.
IIRC a fuel leak or an air bag sensor are a couple that can shut it off.
Basically the same thing the in trunk crash sensor would do in a Ford.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does the fuel pump relay "click" on, then off in a couple of seconds when the key is cycled?

The computer and relay are the primary means of activating the fuel pump. The oil pressure switch is there for a BACKUP, "cuz if the primary setup fails the oil pressure switch WILL energize the fuel pump after a long enough period of cranking to build oil pressure, the computer/relay system activates instantly upon detection of cranking.

Will a schematic help?

Last edited by Bob on Thu May 02, 2013 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You must be a dorF and Goat mechanic, Royse!

(Don't get mad, I'm just teasing you a little!)

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to find out if it's on the control side of the fuel pump or the power side. Terminals 87 to 30 "jump" the relay and supply power to the pump. Look at the relay terminal end for the numbers. I would do that to see if the pump operates. If it does, it's the control side. If it doesn't it may be the power side. Use the test light upstream of the relay to check for voltage there too then work your way down. Always check the power side of the fuel pump circuit with a test light not a volt meter. One strand of wire will show voltage presence, but not carry a load. Hope this helps. Gerard

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"You must be a dorF and Goat mechanic, Royse!"

My favorite goat, The Judge, has a mechanical fuel pump! Smile
At least we both suggested he check the control/activation circuit.
BTW, you said the PCM will energize the primary circuit as soon as
it detects cranking? What tells the PCM that the engine is cranking?

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:31:23 05/03/13) "You must be a dorF and Goat mechanic, Royse!"

My favorite goat, The Judge, has a mechanical fuel pump! Smile
At least we both suggested he check the control/activation circuit.
BTW, you said the PCM will energize the primary circuit as soon as
it detects cranking? What tells the PCM that the engine is cranking?

I have no specific knowledge of that systm but crank/cam position sensors would be one really easy source for that input.

TOH

Delvaughn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow thanks for all the help!
Bob--the relay clicks on than off in about 3 sec.
thanks for the schematic.

ASFguy--I jumped the #87 (it is hot with the key on) and #30. The pump didn't run. So you are saying to check from the relay termial #30 power side an see were the power drops off using a test light?

Ken(Ark)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob , where did you find that schematic ? I need to get one for my '95 Cutlass Supreme 3.1L

I went to the hardware store and when I came out the car would not start , no fuel pressure . I trailered the car home where it promptly started no problem . There have been a few times when it acted up but eventually started . If nothing else , maybe I can wire in a emergency hot switch .

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ken(Ark) wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:23:55 05/03/13)
Bob , where did you find that schematic ? I need to get one for my '95 Cutlass Supreme 3.1L

I went to the hardware store and when I came out the car would not start , no fuel pressure . I trailered the car home where it promptly started no problem . There have been a few times when it acted up but eventually started . If nothing else , maybe I can wire in a emergency hot switch .

I buy an OEM Shop Manual as soon as I get a new vehicle. If you are a "barely used car" guy like me you can usually get a set for $50 or so on eBay. The '95 Cutlass seems to be a cheapy:

Cutlass Shop Manuals

To paraphrase Mr. Rosser - "has all that good chit in it" Rolling Eyes

TOH

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When the PCM "sees" pulses from the crank and/or cam sensors this indicates the engine is actually turning over) Some GM cars used a wire direct from the "START" circuit to the PCM. Didn"t look closed at the schematic for this particular car, though.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: OT chev won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found the schematic on GOOGLE images.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters