Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TO-30 Toe In Adjusting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanDonde
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: TO-30 Toe In Adjusting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey All - I read through the shop manual for my TO-30 and I followed the instructions for adjusting the toe-in on the front tires. I loosened the 2 screws on either side of the steering column and positioned the two steering arms in the same spot above the foot rests. Then I connected the drag links and positioned the tires so the distance at the front and rear of the tires was within 1/4". I then tightened the screws on the steering column so the steering wheel was tight. Next, I tested my adjustment by turning the steering wheel to the left and right and re-measured the distance at the front and rear of the tires and it was off by 1 1/2". I was thinking my toe-in was off because I tested on a hard surface while the tractor was not rolling, so the tires were a little locked up on the cement surface. Anyone think there is a larger problem here? Thanks.

Dan S (NY)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Toe In Adjusting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to correctly time the steering arms in the steering box and set the backlash using the screws on either side of the steering box first before you hook up the draglinks. If you have the backlash adjustment screws backed way out while setting the toe-in with the draglinks your toe-in will change as the gears are forced back into mesh with the adjustment screws.

How many threads can you see at each tie rod end on the drag links? The need to be in pretty far to get the toe-in correct. Did you replace the tie rod ends? The new tie rod ends I got last year where a bit longer than the old ones and I couldn't get the threads clean enough down in the drag link tube so it would thread in far enough to correctly set the toe-in. I cut off about a quarter inch from the threaded end of the new tie rod that goes into the drag link which made it match the old one, and that was enough to get it right.

Dan

RyanDonde
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Toe In Adjusting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tightened the screws up and I have room on each drag link for adjustment, about 1/2" in thread is available on each drag link end. The tie rods are original. Thanks for your response.

Dan S (NY)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Toe In Adjusting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you have enough room for adjustment on the drag links.

Dan

IrvIA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Toe In Adjusting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try grabbing the tire and shake it back and forth as if trying to turn the steering right and left. Every loose joint will show up. Sometimes the radius rods are loose in their sockets by the foot rests. Also look for looseness in the the spindles. Then check the wheel for loose bearing by pulling and pushing at the top of each tire. It will clunk if its loose. All those things will goof up your toe in.
Hope this helps.
Irv

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.