Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M602 Engine trouble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: M602 Engine trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been using my M602 to travel about 10 miles to my parent's farm to clean it up and made the trip several times but the last time it developed a engine noise like knocking or clicking about mid engine. I had to limp along about 4 more miles and load a trailer load of scrap metal and pull it out of the mud up to high ground. Oil level was good and oil pressure is 30-40 lbs and it was still operational when I parked it. We have had some problems with antifreeze in the oil(stopleak solution) so maybe it been running on antifreeze but the oil on the dipstick looks okay.

Does this sound like I lost a Rod bearing or something. How long can I expect it to run yet before it self destructs. I hope to get it on a trailer before it blows up for good since driving 10 miles back probably isn't going to be an option and towing with out steering is difficult.

Can anyone venture a guess what is wrong without seeing or hearing the problem??Cleddy

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: M602 Engine trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does it only do it at mid throttle, does it go away or get worse when its cold or warm? Or is it always the same

cleddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: M602 Engine trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is not to bad at mid throttle and kind of goes away when I rev it up and then starts again. I am afraid to run it to much wide open but was able to rev the engine up enough to drive it on and off a trairer and get it where it needs to be and drive it to park it. It almost sounds like a fan blade hitting something but that doesn't seem to be the case. Thank goodness them engines run slow and are a little forgiving of abuse or it would be all over by now. I may need a different engine yet if I can't figure it out.
cleddy

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: M602 Engine trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So the noise is coming from the block, or somewhere by it? If it is from motor, it could be a rod bearing, hard to tell when you can't hear it run.

nys

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: M602 Engine trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes a worn rod bearing will give a double knock from slack and will run for a long time but better look into it. I had a 79 IH truck ran for years with a slight rod knock. Hope it all works out.

cleddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: M602 Engine trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I will take it apart when time permits. The book says a M-5/M602 is 6400#dry weight. I would sure like to know what wet weight is with fluid in main tires,duels,oil,water,a heavy home made cab plus a wl-30 Westendorf loader w/7' bucket.
I drove it up on a 10,000# trailer to move it and the tires all looked almost flat and the fenders were about touching the tires. I made the small trip but maybe put that on the list of things "never" to do again.
cleddy

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.