Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering Housing Leak on a C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffred
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Steering Housing Leak on a C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just replaced the oil seal that is in the steering worm wheel shaft on a C. I also put a couple new gaskets on around the worm wheel shaft housing. I put the bolster back on and filled up the steering housing with oil, and then let the tractor sit overnight before I put the wheels back on. I went out this afternoon and noticed some oil leaking from the area I was working on. It almost looks to me like it is leaking out of one of the four bolts that holds that worm wheel assembly in place (I triple checked that everything was screwed in tight).

Does anybody have any ideas/suggestions on what might be causing this and how to remedy?

Rick Remmert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Housing Leak on a C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Which direction did you put the seal in on the bottom of the case? If I remember right, when I did mine, the manual said to install it with the lip side facing up. That made no sense to me. I turned mine over with the lip out so it would seal the oil in. I also filled mine with grease, not oil. There have been many posts on here saying to use corn head grease.

jeffred
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Housing Leak on a C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also installed it down to keep the oil in. I filled it with 80w90 gear oil.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Housing Leak on a C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The lip always faces the oil. Otherwise it gets under the rear of the lip and eventually leaks. I have never seen an exception to this. Less chance of leakage with grease.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Housing Leak on a C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD Corn Head grease, or Mobil1 synthetic (red) grease are great. Jim

jeffred
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Housing Leak on a C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much grease should you put it? How often should you add more or replace?

Thanks!

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Housing Leak on a C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I fill it till there is just a quarter cup of space remaining as air. This allows it to expand and contract some. Work the steering back and forth (with the wheels jacked up) to settle the grease. Jim

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.