Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B antifreeze everywhere

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carterbeauford
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: B antifreeze everywhere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put Cool-Gard II in my 1941 B and it hasn't worked out so well. it leaks out the new gasket between the top water pipe and the head, the outer 2 manifold studs, and is somehow getting in the right cylinder and oil. fresh oil change is milky already. I ended up taking the head off because I thought the block was cracked. the pushrod tubes look original so that's the first thing I'll replace. has a new head gasket and the head was torqued down not long ago. right cylinder had half an inch of antifreeze in it. I don't see any cracks in the cylinder. it never had this problem when I ran water in it, I'd have maybe an ounce of water at the bottom of the crankcase when I changed the oil. I plan on installing new pushrod tubes and sealing the manifold studs with Ultra Copper, should I take the block out and have it checked?

would a 3/4" swaging punch work for expanding the new pushrod tubes?

Last edited by carterbeauford on Wed May 08, 2013 10:43 am; edited 2 times in total
gtx1967jewison@yahoo.com
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: B antifreeze everywhere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you failed to PRE-MIX the coolant with
the water, the coolant sits in the bottom
blocking circulation, it overheats &cant
things go boom....

carterbeauford
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: B antifreeze everywhere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used premix...

gtx1967jewison@yahoo.com
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: B antifreeze everywhere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So before this happened, you'd replaced the head gasket? If
so, was it retorqued HOT, after full warmup?

carterbeauford
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: B antifreeze everywhere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

installed new rings and honed cylinders winter before last as part of restoration, installed new head gasket ran it maybe 5 hours after that on water and no leaks. drained for winter, refilled with antifreeze for spring. didn't re-torque the head, can't really get it hot even working hard since it never had shutters.

was reading another thread on a 51 B and it appears I installed the head gasket upside down Embarassed I have a late B block and head and the fire rings were on the block side. I am going to have the head skimmed while it's off.

gtx1967jewison@yahoo.com
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: B antifreeze everywhere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cover the radiator with cardboard, load the engine, keep it
above 170 for at least 30 minutes preferrably an hour.
Immediately retorque ALL the head bolts. Go through them in
the proper pattern twice.

carterbeauford
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: B antifreeze everywhere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

will do, you think the gasket didn't seal because I didn't get it hot enough?

gtx1967jewison@yahoo.com
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: B antifreeze everywhere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That &cant it must be retorqued WHILE its
still hot, everyone tells me. I just did a B
& its a pretty quick thing to do.

MEANJDK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: B antifreeze everywhere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty quick? Are you serious? It sounds like something as easy as opening a petcock up.
I did the re-torque on my B. It is not that simple.
Dont give people the idea that its simple or quick, unless you give the specs on how quick it may be.
It needs to be done, but some weekend mechanics are not going to find this as quick as the rest of us do.
Im just sayin.....

carterbeauford
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: B antifreeze everywhere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm still learning my way around these things, pulling the valve cover and valvetrain off to get a torque wrench in there isn't that hard.

I see the B2501R head only has 2 pushrod tubes.

gtx1967jewison@yahoo.com
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: B antifreeze everywhere Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dude its SIX bolts....2 for the carb 2 for the valve cover 2 for the rockers. Torque the head twice, slap rocker assy back on, cover, carb, done. One hour for one guy, loafing. Get yourself the reusable silicone valve cover gasket off Ebay for $20 & save even more time. I just fail to see the difficulty, if you've succeeded in replacing a head gasket & made it run again.....this IS easy (?)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.