Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

outrageious prices

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MBdeere
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm afraid this is the world we live in now. Today I was driving my 2009 duramax and it suddenly went in the limp home mode. Top speed was 40 MPH. I must admit the check engine light was on for a few weeks now. Last week I stopped in at Auto Zone and they did a free dianostic check and the code was for a exhaust temperature sensor. Today I dropped the truck off at my Chevrolet dealer and asked if the problem was a ETS how much would that cost me. He said he thought the last one they did was $1200.00. OOOUUUUCCCHHHHHH!!!! So it's not only John Deere who is ripping us off.

MarknWaterloo
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was that just for the temp sensor or was it also to service the DPF?

MBdeere
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry but I don't know. Probably so for that price.

4020deereboy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't feel bad my boss just put about 7 grand in his o7 duramax barely has 200 000 miles on it and now the four wheel drive isn't working

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Car makers figured out some years ago that they have at least four ways to rip us off.

1. Selling the vehicle.
2. Over priced options and add ons.
3. Financing the vehicle.
4. Designed parts failure.

Once you buy their "razor", you have little choice in some cases but to buy their "blades" at their rediculously high prices.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just put a fuel pump on the F350. Now this truck is a 1981 with a 460. Had to wait a day on the pump but it was under $30.00 !!!! and was easy to change it myself !!!!

Now if it was a newer truck I'd be looking at $300.00- $ 400.00 in parts and if you had to pay labor ? I'd hate to think what it cost !

ET
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought ignition key blanks for a dodge durango. They were $160 each, then I had to find someone who's machine would cut them with the big end in the way and finaly back to dodge to have them programed to the car. At least they didn't charge me to program them.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ET, this is just another example of how the Manufactures are getting so carried away on High tech ideas,,I know some are nice, but most of them lead to high priced nightmares, and a lot of them are fuel by EPA mandates. If your on the road any at all you will see big rigs creeping along the road side in "Limp Mode" hoping to find a place to get out of traffic till some one with a lap top can sort out which code shut them down...and now it's even happening to our pick-ups....

clampdaddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep. I told my wife that when I finally wear out my truck I'm going to replace it with an older vehicle that doesn't require a computer to ask how the truck is feeling. I never tow more than one tractor at a time anyway so a healthy carbureted small block will suit me just fine and I can do any work to it myself.

RyaninKS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My daily truck...1992 Dodge D250. 5.9 cummins and a 5 speed...still clicking strong at just over 500k. Gonna need some sycros in the tranny pretty soon though.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an old 94 F150 that I use for a shop truck, it"s getting a little ruff, I"m about to retire it. I was over at the mega store a few weeks ago and the manger was out front when I pulled in, he said "That old trucks about had Tim" in a very condescending way, I replied over my shoulder that If I over charged as many people as he did I"d have a new one... But your right about a good old truck, with fewer problems and they seem to be bring a premium now days...

Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's why I overhaul and still drive 30 plus year old vehicles when I can. Easy to work on and parts are cheap. Car companies hate me. I buy one product and keep it going as long as I can.

nys

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 05 duramax came with a 100,000 mile engine warranty, is it still covered?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nys wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:23:27 05/10/13) My 05 duramax came with a 100,000 mile engine warranty, is it still covered?

No because the length of specified time has expired.

tanman_2006
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: outrageious prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:06:07 05/10/13)
nys wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:23:27 05/10/13) My 05 duramax came with a 100,000 mile engine warranty, is it still covered?

No because the length of specified time has expired.

I work on trucks for a hobby/spending money. Doesnt take over an hour to do the exhaust sensor, its a common problem on trucks with exhaust filters. The dealer will do a forced regen and burn ~5gallons of your diesel doing it on top of the high prices. The truck will do its own regen if you replace the sensor and it will be just fine.

I own a 06 LBZ Dmax and at 210K of hard towing the only thing getting weak is the tranny but I think it will last the summer and get rebuilt ~250K w/ stronger internals. My dd is a 95 K1500 6.5L Chevy and at 290K it still doesnt use oil and gets 19mpg.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.