Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: Uses for Brake Fluid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuddy Duddy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: OT: Uses for Brake Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, Ya'll help me out here. I went to an auction the other day. One thing they had was nine pallets more or less of cases of Brake Fluid. I didn't count them. some were full other were not. Any way, it was a lots of brake fluid. I knew when I saw it all I would most likely be going home with some of it. Mostly they where requiring you take 10 cases minim just so them could move on. One pallet got down to having just 9 cases on it. That's the lot I got. $27 for nine cases. 6 gallon to a case. 50 cents a gallon.

So now what to do with it all? I think I once seen on here that it was good to use to help free up struck engines.
Any thoughts on what to do with all tis Brake fluid?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Uses for Brake Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Works good to free things up, like rings.
Sell what you can to local mechanics for a dollar or two per gallon.
Cheap for them, pays your investment back quick.
It's a fair paint stripper too, and a lot cheaper than store brands.
Don't use it to strip paint from wood obviously.
I'll be interested to hear what other guys use it for!

tesmith66
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Uses for Brake Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use it in brake systems. Razz

If they are still sealed, it should be good, right? Does brake fluid have a shelf life?

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Uses for Brake Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Friend uses it to seat the beads on tubeless tires.Works good as a penetrating oil.Getting expensive but at a buck a gallon might make a gas additive for those who like to use snake oil.My old Model A Ford would have run fine on it.

AIRCRAFT..John,PA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Uses for Brake Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mil. SPEC NUMBER.

At a local Military Supply Depot, here, they condemned a whole "LOT" of that stuff.

WHY: Contamination

John,PA FAA Accident Preventation Counselor

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Uses for Brake Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I save old fluid and clean carbs/fuel bowls were the fuel has turned to tar it works great for that... I would not use it in a brake system as I have seen what unknown cheap brake fluid will do... I am sure someone would tho its not gonna be me I don't need the headache...

If I had to make a guess it would be its NOS military/goverment use as that's about the time frame they had switched every thing to DOT 5 silicon fluid...

It could be the best fluid money can buy have your brake system flushed with it then you would know in about 90 days if its any good...

Last edited by Hobo,NC on Thu May 09, 2013 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Uses for Brake Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is DOT 5 as HOBO suggested it will be violet in color and should not be mixed with ANY other brake fluid. A complete flush would be required with it before vehicle use It's not compatable with other fluids.

Fuddy Duddy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Uses for Brake Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That might be it. You have to wonder how someone could wound up with so much brake fluid. Being Military fluid it should be high grade stuff. As far as the Contamination goes. It might had just not passed their high standard so they rejected it. Could be still good to use as brake fluid. Guess I could try if in my 36 volt truckser first and see how it goes. If the seals start to leak its probably about due for new seals anyway. Haven't check it's color. I'll check that this weekend. I don't really use much brake fluid any way. Unless something start leaking. I was thinking most could be used as parts cleaner (I usually use gasoline), freeing sticking rings and such. Wonder if I pour a half gallon in 'Old Smokies" fuel tank if that that might help keep the plugs from fouling so much? Don't guess it would hurt to try.

Jim WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Uses for Brake Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

J1703 seems to be the same as DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid (or at least compatible).

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_GTDS_DOT_3__4_Brake_Fluid.pdf

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/valvoline/dot-3-4-brake-fluid/28

Google is your friend.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Uses for Brake Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brake fluid is a fairly good penetrating oil, and will also remove paint.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Uses for Brake Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fuddy Duddy wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:24:24 05/09/13) That might be it. You have to wonder how someone could wound up with so much brake fluid. Being Military fluid it should be high grade stuff. As far as the Contamination goes. It might had just not passed their high standard so they rejected it. Could be still good to use as brake fluid. Guess I could try if in my 36 volt truckser first and see how it goes. If the seals start to leak its probably about due for new seals anyway. Haven't check it's color. I'll check that this weekend. I don't really use much brake fluid any way. Unless something start leaking. I was thinking most could be used as parts cleaner (I usually use gasoline), freeing sticking rings and such. Wonder if I pour a half gallon in 'Old Smokies" fuel tank if that that might help keep the plugs from fouling so much? Don't guess it would hurt to try.

You call it will burn... It also will mix with water for what that's worth...
When you have a BF leak and it makes a mess all you have to do is spray the parts off with water and they clean up good as new...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.