Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 cylinder carb gaskets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gary in neb.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: 2 cylinder carb gaskets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

why does the front gasket between filter and carb on a 2 cy (70 specifically) have the "v" notches in them and the back one dont. can they be interchanged?
got good spark now on my 70 but cant get it to run. acts like not getting fuel for some reason but poppin john been working on that with me (great guys to work with). leaning towards maybe an intake problem.

Rustys Restos
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 cylinder carb gaskets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do you have fuel at the carb? does it have the original sediment bowl ?if so,do you have good oil pressure to turn on the fuel?

gary in neb.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 cylinder carb gaskets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

got fuel, actually got it to fire pretty good on starting, but dont run real great after that, if at all. no rpm. leaning to coil at this time. kinda ran for about 2 minutes and noticed coil was hot. so, think i will give that a try. kinda makes sense. son said it would run a bit, then die. set for 10 min or so would run again for a minute or two. just cant remember if i need a resistor or not on the coil....

jdman(MO)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 cylinder carb gaskets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your coil is hot, you are getting too much voltage. If you have a coil that says use with external resistor it is really a 6 volt coil. If it is an original John Deere coil it will say 12 volt and has the resistor built in. A six volt coil is only meant to take 12 volts while the starter is depressed. This voltage comes from the side post of the starter switch if so equipped. If you put a resistor in be sure and mount it to the metal or it will get hot and burn up. I get my resistor from NAPA. The resistor on the ignition switch is to dim the lights not the coil. Russ

gary in neb.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2 cylinder carb gaskets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

with this being a positive ground, does the wire from the switch go to - and the wire to the dist go to +? i did not take it off so not sure which way it was hooked up. no external resistor and nothing marked on coil so gonna go with internal resisted coil.

jdman(MO)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2 cylinder carb gaskets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hook wire from ignition switch to - terminal on coil. The + on the coil goes to the distributor. The only advantage in using a external resistor is you use 12 volts to start and about 7 volts to run. Gives faster starts in winter. Russ

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 cylinder carb gaskets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not to stir the pot, BUT, no coils have a " built in" resistor to my limited knowledge. They are either "resistor req'd" or not. I don't mind being wrong (happened once in 1972) and would like correct information if I am. HTH

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.