Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT - Ants!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not in the house, but in the yard.
Every where I walk, there are ant hills.
I don't think there's a 4 square foot area without at least one hill.
Talked to the neighbors, same in there yards.
We've had a few here and there in sandy areas but most of my land is red clay.
I'm wondering if it might have to do with the recent flooding, but I don't
know how it would be connected.
I'm in one of the Michigan counties that have been declared an emergency
by the governor because of the flooding, so it was pretty bad.
The ants don't present an emergency to me, but what the heck would
bring this many ant hills up?

D beatty
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are not alone on this one we have a lot of ants ( the small sugar ants and the large black ant). The small one are hanging around the out building and the black ones are wanting to get in house.

ben there
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old timers always said ants building mounds is a sure sign of rain coming...fire ants around chere dont follow rules unfortunately.

Ken-Pa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, I've had those little ants in my kitchen a few times since the weather started getting nicer . I found that they do not like or survive in water by pouring water all over the kitchen counter / sink areas , plus on the tile floor . Clean-up was not fun , but seeing all those dead ants made it worth while . I've also used ant spray , but inside use isn't very good for the human body . HTH ! God bless, Ken

JD John
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Catch them, cover them in choclate and sell them on ebay! You never know, might be the next big thing! HEHE John

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ANts here in MN have been out in droves. I believe it is due to the late spring and they are hungry. By many estimates there are very close to the same mass of ants on and in the earth as there is mass of humanity even though we out weigh them by one million to one. Jim

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

D beatty, these are the little sugar ants, or Pi$$ ants as some call them around here.
None in the house so far, but I did spread some killer around the perimeter.
Just in case.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ben there wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:25:44 05/09/13) old timers always said ants building mounds is a sure sign of rain coming...fire ants around chere dont follow rules unfortunately.

I was introduced to fire ants at my in-laws place out in Texas.
I'm glad I don't have them here!

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And when the smoke blows away and all the people on earth are gone, the ants will still be here along with most of the other insects on the planet.

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think they just infest areas they find good for their nests. Once you get a few next thing you know there's a whole community of them.

I've got dry patches in my yard that are just LOADED with them - but they always stay in those areas. Not sure if they're killing the grass in those areas, or they're there because there's no grass and it's nice dry sandy soil.

Either way - the chickens like them.

WAYNE-N-TX
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They're here in Texas also. Last year was the first time I seen harvester ants in a long time. I had three towns or colonies in my hay fields and still trying to get them out. They will cause a tractor tire to sink in a dry field. I did read where they are the ants that you get if you buy an ant colony, so maybe we can sell them :-O.

The small ants are everywhere, a mound ever few feet. I hit them with a pesticide and they're back in a few days.

The fire ants are not as plentiful this year as before, but still have enough in case someone wants to start a colony Smile.

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We've had the little ants in the kitchen off and on for the last 6 weeks. We use the ORTHO liquid drops and that slowed them down considerably. I mixed up some TEMPO and sprayed around where the cabinet top meets the wall and around our window sill and around the outside of the house and the basement. The Tempo didn't seem to phase them but the Ortho seems to be working. It says to leave the poison out for 2-3 weeks and you'll see the ant traffic diminish. It has! We just see one every now and then.
We never could find out where they were coming in at.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like it's time to get yourself an aardvark.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Sounds like it's time to get yourself an aardvark."

LOL Where would I keep it, and what do you feed it in the winter?
When I lived in Florida we used Diazinon crystals or spray on them.
Can't buy that anymore.

Jim in MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: OT - Ants! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have read that common household things like garlic,
cinnamon, coffee grounds, vinegar, talcum, borax, and
cucumber will repel ants. Haven't tried them myself but read about it when researching natural tick repellants for dogs.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.