Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You Won't Believe This...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our neighbors tell us when they will be gone for few days so we can keep an eye on their place.

Well last weekend they left for 4 days. As the husband was putting the luggage in their car his wife said I need to go back in the house I forgot something. When she went in she could smell smoke. They frantically searched and what they found was her magnifying mirror in the bathroom had caught the morning sun light, reflected it onto a funeral prayer card she had hanging on the wall and started it on fire. She told my wife the rest of their trip was from h!ll. Flat tire, bed bugs you name it... They were never so glad to have a home to come back to...

All and All they are very lucky to still have their house. Who would of ever thought. You can't be too careful...

I thought I would pass this on to everyone, it may save some one else's belongings knowing that this can happen.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few years back my insurance company sent out a crystal dangly thing with their name on it to hang on your sunvisor. A few weeks later they sent a letter asking for it back. Seems that they were starting cars on fire when parked in the sun.

W_B
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Saw an Ask This Old House episode where the UV coating on a window was reflecting the afternoon sun onto the siding and melting it. They put a screen over the window to stop that, after they replaced the melted siding.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now that is irony.

Paul

gtractorfan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What are the odds of that? Lucky the wife went back inside the house before leaving. Another unusual incident happened in this area recently. A guy bought a used Harley, just a few hours later the same day he was riding it, hit a deer and was killed. The title hadn't been changed and he didn't have a motorcycle license endorsement. Most riders never have even a close deer encounter in a lifetime.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Several years ago an ex girlfriend had moved to a second story apartment and bought an expensive new couch. I was over there a couple of weeks later and noticed a three inch diameter brown circle burned into the top of one arm. Seems some company had sent her some type of a glass or plastic circular disc ornament and she had hung it on the curtain rod over the window. It was in the spring of the year so the sun shining thru the window wasn't that hot, but hot enough to reflect thru it somehow and burn the fabric.

RMinVa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw a picture, I think was on NAT that some dried manure was stuck on a head light lens of a NH tractor. It had dried and when the sun hit it and reflected back and started the manure to burn.

dr sportster
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have to watch placing antique bottles [or any glass really] in windows because sometimes it can make a magnifying glass effect. It's a good thing she went back in the house for sure !

ohiojim
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i had one of those mirrors that are cocave on one side and convex on the other, i had layed it on the floor beside my chair and the sun was setting the underside of my chair arm on fire, i was sitting in it at the time, couldn't figure out where the smoke was comming from for a bit...

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya some of the oddest things have cause many a fire in the past in many places.

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I read all the story. I never thought of the jars on the window sills or dangling items in the car. But I can see where all this can happen. Seems like when this does happen it's a reminder to us.

Davis SC

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I once read that discarded bottles with the sun shining through them is sometimes the cause of forest fires..Makes sense..

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gee, really glad I read this thread.

I have small collection of "GLASS BOTTLES"... guess where I was recently thinking of putting them??? In a window! Thought the sun would look pretty shining through them. I will NOT carry out that plan.

Harold Hubbard
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A friend of mine had one of those lighted magnifiers on a telescoping arm. It sat in the sun on his desk and melted a hole in his mouse pad.

dr sportster
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: You Won't Believe This... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can do it you just have to watch the situation. I have some in a window that gets early morning sun and have not seen any problems. They do look nice with the light shining through and most people do display them like this. It is just something to be aware of . You need to spend some time looking for any weird effects. Someone in my bottle club said it is the thicker glass of the old milk and cream bottles prone to do this.Don't let that blob top become a magnifier.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.