Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PIctures for Today

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everyone needs an extra hand sometimes...

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These sure do bring back memories from when I was that age. We always had young chicks. Always had a big garden since we had a road side vegetable stand. Working with my dad and brother as we put out the spring crops is what I miss the most. When I go out to those fields now I can feel the energy I had back then. Brings tears to my eyes to think those times are past...

Allan in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep,

And we learned to drive a straight row without power steering and GPS. :>)

Allan

Alan K
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very nice pictures. Enjoy them alot. I grew up on a ZA without power steering. I would rather drive an older tractor than a new one. I have GPS on my M5 MM...(good power steering) Smile

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John B.,

GREAT PHOTOS! Love the little boys with the baby chicks.

Remember working in the garden with mom. It was huge - we had six kids and she canned, pickled and made jelly like crazy.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And live pto and cabs and the list goes on. What a challenge to plow a straight furrow when laying out a new land and when you were finished with plowing cornstalks nothing was showing on top of the new plowed ground.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I spent many hours riding on the planter when I was younger than the boy in the picture. I was about nine when Dad bought the first two row tractor planter. By that time I was pulling a spring tooth ahead of the planter.

Mom kept 500 laying hens and she had one coop for starting chicks to fill in for the laying hens culled out. I played with the boxes like those but the chick were under the brooders by the time I would get home from school.

Mom took care of the garden which my brother and I had to help some. I don't remember many smiles from anyone when in the garden though.

Thanks for the pictures. I sure can relate at 75.

The Red
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John thanks for posting!

The Red
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dick how many acres did you plant in a day back then?

jm.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the reals reason he has a passenger is a lot of team or horse drawn planters were converted for tractor use. The things still required someone to ride and operate the marker trip.

oleozz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those are great pictures. Thanks for posting.

Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The boys with the chicks reminds me of when I was just a small tyke. The light went out in the brooder coop so Dad brought a couple of boxes of chicks in the house and put them in the bathtub for the night. I was fascinated!! I kept leaning over to get a closer look and I fell into the tub. I killed a few of the chicks. I was maybe four and I remember Dad made me pay for the dead ones. I think he charged me eight cents--don"t remember if that was each or total. This was around 1951. I never forgot that lesson.

Larry

Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I spent a lot of hours on a John Deere 999 planter behind Dad's Allis B. My brother and I took turns driving the tractor and riding the planter. We kept after Dad to get a more modern planter, but he never would. Hos answer was always the same, " I have to feed both of you, you might as well both work." Our planter monitor at night was a flashlight aimed at the drop tubes. You could plant 10 acres a day pretty easily, depending on whether you were applying fertilizer and how much. At any very high rate of fertilizer the small capacity of the planter meant refilling pretty frequently which slowed things down a lot. In the days of 38" rows we raised some pretty respectable corn with the old planter. It was shared with my uncle, who had a son to ride it too. I have no idea whatever happened to it.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would say up to 20. Our largest fenced in fields were 20 acres. The fields ranged from 10 to 15 acres. We had one 3 acre corner field. Dad wouldn't have started planting until after the milking was done. Dad farmed two 148 acre farms after I was able to help and he bought a larger tractor.

Wheat Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: PIctures for Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad would order about 300 chick each year, and they can by mail. post master would call Dad and say get to town and get this chicks out of here.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.