Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working on the garden. (PICS)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Son put in,so far 30 lbs Russet Burbank potatoes, another 30 to go in the 2nd garden. Then comes the seed and plants. We're supposed to drop below freezing tonight, so the plants won't go in today. Used the 706 to break up the garden again this year and tilled it with the Troy Bilt tiller after the composted horse manure was put on.Should have another good garden if the weather cooperates.

So far the peach trees are still going,2nd year with sub zero weather.No green on the grapes yet, but should show up. I'll be glad when it's all in,and down to the three W's, watering,weeding,waiting.lol.

LOU

ChuckMa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So Lou in first pic you plant the seeds and let the rain wash the soil over them? LOL Love your posts and pics
Chuck

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I liked both of your post and PICS Lou. Looks like you realy are in the "back woods"so to speak. Must be great to have nature at you door step. Bruce

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking good my friend. How many family members do you feed with that many spuds. I planted 400 sets in our raised beds (4,flanking the wheelbarrow in the pic) which feeds the wifey and I year round. My sets were small rounds,(red pontiac, and kenebecks), from last years harvest. Really like the tast of the yukon golds, but for some reason they grow hollow and split, and don't keep. Probably from highly amended soil in our boxes, and they grow too fast.
All our seed crops are planted, but no bedding plants. The weather guessers are predicting frost next week, with cooler temps. Memorial day is traditionally the garden planting weekend around here, but I am pushing the envelope a bit, as the raised beds soak up a lot of solar heat, and the river stone around all the boxes retain a lot of heat over night.

Loren, the Acg.

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks good! Shows with a little work, you can have a garden just about anywhere. Is that a lake in the background, third picture down? Looks like a place where I could live. (Except for the winters)

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ShadetreeRet,
Took a little work to get it,but it's well worth it.
Yep a lake in the background, we used to live right on it for about 20 years, finally got tired of the lake going to pot,and taxes going thru the roof,so now we can still see it,just lower tax rate.
Winters aren't bad, if you stay close to the fire.lol Usually very quiet around that time,neighbors move back to their original home states.
Thanks for the reply,
LOU

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Loren,
Last year we fed 8 including our puppy,he loves spuds raw.We gave away over a ton to friends and neighbors,and a potato grower,who we used to work for driving truck. He gave us alot of information on them,so turn abouts fair play,we reciprocated with over 200 # of them. They quit growing them sold their equip and got out of business. All they do is beans and corn.

Between last years tomatos,this year we cut back to 9,rather than last years 16.Too much for us to eat or give away. This year the local soup kitchen will be the beneficiary of our over supply.Gardening is fun,and best tasting vegies we have found. Last year we had everything in by now,but this year we got a little extra snow in May,that slowed us back some.Should still make up though,if the weather cooperates.Lets hope,
LOU

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce from Can.,
Right on the county forest ground borders us.They only pipe in daylight twice a year.lol.
I don't think I could make it in the city or suburbs.Wouldn't want to try if truth be told.
Thanks for the reply,
LOU

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

chuckma,
Thats sort of the "trickle down theory of gardening".lol. Thanks for the reply,
LOU

ohiojim
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

looks like my place,..flat spots come at a premium...

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you guys store your spuds? I want a root cellar desperately, but time and money are fighting me.

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks good Loren, I'm hoping to plant this weekend! I'm eyeing up ur mini excavator back there! Lol

Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Lou!

Your garden looks great. I have 25 tomato plants in the ground that I started in my light box and then transplanted and covered with a low tunnel.

Planted corn on the 4th of May (copied the local farmers) and hope for good weather.

Have blossoms on the Cortland apple trees and the Honeycrisp are not far behind.

Buddy the pitbull is hard at work.....well, not really.

Always enjoy your posts.

Brad

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bret4207,
We hold ours (600 lbs) in our panel box room, it"s unisulated,kept all during the winter except 30lb went to seed. We"ve used 570 lbs,dark and cool makes a good place to store them,if you don"t have a root cellar,which we don"t.
LOU

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Working on the garden. (PICS) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brad Buchanan,
Looks good,our apples haven't even started blooming yet,believe it or not our peach trees made it thru the 2nd winter.
Decided to hold off today's planting, cold and dreary,but maybe tomorrow.Ground is already worked up,just waiting for seed and plants,and warmer days.Spring has to show it's head sometimme.lol

Don't disturb Buddy, he's working on solving your bigger problems.lol.Any disturbance and he has to start all over again.lol

Thanks for the post,
LOU

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.