Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grease Joint Rejuvenator

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoubleR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was looking at one yesterday at TSC for 49 bucks. It was made by Innovative Products in the USA no less. It looked like you put some penetrating oil or something similar in it, put it over the zerk and hit it with a hammer. It appears to open the froze grease zerk up. Looks like it could be kind of handy compared to a torch or zerk replacement. Has anyone used one? Is it a waste of money or does it really work?

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have little use for one.

Installing a new zerk will usually fix such problems.

Dean

charlie n
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes it's the zerk but sometimes it's the passage .When that happens you have to remove the zerk out to clean it.$49.00 buys a lot of zerks.JMO.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They don't work, most of the time. I pull the zerk, and spray kroil in the hole, and that gets most of the mildly frozen ones clear. Sometimes I put a pipe nipple and a cap on the fitting, and pour kroil in the nipple, and re cap. On one fitting, it took 6 weeks, to eat through the rust and crud.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They work pretty good. The ZerkZapper is good. The guy who sells them is on AgTalk and has given some tips on how to use them. #1 is use actual liquid oil not a spray can.

Bobcatz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Warning!
I worked several years on heavy equipment and heating grease joints was common pratice until we were told about a man doing the same thing was killed when the joint got hot and the ball check which is in all the zerk fittings shot out and went into the guys heart! Take precautions!

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bobcatz wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:10:08 05/11/13) Warning!
I worked several years on heavy equipment and heating grease joints was common pratice until we were told about a man doing the same thing was killed when the joint got hot and the ball check which is in all the zerk fittings shot out and went into the guys heart! Take precautions!

Had to be more things preceding that incident. That tiny little spring behind the ball check doesn't have the ability to make that happen.

Oxy/acetylene torch would be too hot, and probably destroy that spring. A small propane torch works very well. Just heat the zerk 'till the worms come out, put the grease gun on it and start pumping. If that doesn't work, remove the zerk, dig into that old grease with a pointy object, spray some penetrating oil in, install a new grease zerk, and start pumping.

Bobcatz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The spring has nothing to do with the checkball shooting out. It is the expansion behind the check ball from the heat that caused the checkball to shoot out!

Glrnn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wish it were always that simple.

Glenn F.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could make one with some steel stock for little money.You will need a drill press to drill a straight 1/4 inch hole.Then make a plunger.I just change the fitting.5 cents each from a big jar full at a store I stop at.

greygoat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

J.C. Whitney used to sell them for $12.95 !

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Friend of mine was working on a backhoe, using a torch on the swing pin. it blew the complete fitting out and buried it in a wall stud. Thankfully it completely missed him.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I worked in Ag Retail I saw one shoot out while the kid was heating it. It flew out with force. I must not have learned too much...I now stand to the side when heating them.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bobcatz wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:35:57 05/11/13) The spring has nothing to do with the checkball shooting out. It is the expansion behind the check ball from the heat that caused the checkball to shoot out!

Way too much heat. A small propane torch is all that is needed.

MeAnthony
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Grease Joint Rejuvenator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What I've seen most often is dried grease behind the zerk rather than a problem with the zerk itself. Typically I remove the zerk and dig out what crud I can with a tiny allen wrench. On something like a pillow block bearing, welding wire is handy to clear the passage around the bearing race.

This solves most of them; really nasty ones I squirt some carb or brake parts cleaner into the hole to dissolve the blockage.

Anthony

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.