Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still workin' on the well.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey folks.

This is the latest update on the continuing saga of my 58" drilled well.

I cobbled together a temporary hookup to get water for tree planting until I can do a permanent install.

I lowered the pump into the well to about 3" from the bottom with a torque arrestor and a length of so cord and am getting water but it is still cloudy.

I let some water sit in a plastic barrel overnight and the cloudiness seems to be silt. the top water was clear with the grey/brown on the bottom.

I knocked together a temporary well cap out of scrap plywood, carriage bolts and duct sealing compound. It might not be perfect but at least a passing elephant will not trip and fall in!

I have pumped probably 6 to 7 hundred gallons and the cloudiness remains. It seems to me that eventually the cloudiness should go but there may be a reason why it won"t. There is no smell to the water that I can detect.

Would it help if I raised the pump a few feet?

The cap was off the well all winter so a critter may have fallen in. This water is not for drinking for the forseeable future just for irrigation but may need to be potable in a year or so.

Thanks for the help,

Brad

Richard G.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Friend of mine bought a place in the mountains a few years ago. Someone had stolen the deep well pump and left the top open. I told him there were probably many possums in the well. He poured the Clorox to it and pumped for a long time. They use it all the time now.
Richard in NW SC

Mark-Mi
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The finer the silt clay the longer it will stay in suspension in water.
Some wells never clear out, I have one like that. The clay in it is as fine as facial powder.

rabbit
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would think it would clear up pretty soon.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems to be some confusion on feet and inches (' vs.") in you post. I assume the well is 58 feet deep (I've heard of shallow wells, but 58" is the shallowest I've heard of ! LOL). So is the pump 3 inches or 3 feet off the bottom? 3 inches is too close, and you will keep stirring up sediment. But it should clear out eventually if its 3 feet.

You may want to let it set a week or so, to let the silt settle out.

What's the static height of the water column in the well (ie, if you leave it alone, how far down to the top of the water)?

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kinda just unfortunate people leave a well open for that long, its fine if it is just you, but aquifers feed to many other people. That sort of thing is what leads to very, very tight regulations on wells and extra costs and so forth, when people don't care about others and mess in their water..... Sorry for the soap box, more of a general musing , not meant to aim right at you..... I will guess then that your temporary setup will look about the same 3 years from now, I'm kinda a temp setup get around to it later (not!) myself so I understand that part......

I always thought it was best to keep 10 feet above the bottom of the well, if you get down to the bottom under 5 feet like you are the pump swirl always kicks up the bottom and always creates the clay swirl. You said this was a very high output well, why go so close to the bottom?

6-700 gallons is nothing, my much deeper but smaller well has pumped more than that out in the past 2 hours, on its way to filling the 2500 gallon cistern I fill every 4 days.

You need to run a lot more water, full bore (I understand back pressure and such, but just running strong), to flush the system out. You aren't even broken in yet at all.

Paul

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brad,
If you suspect a critter in the well,dump a gallon of bleach down the well and pump it til the bleach smell is gone.Won't hurt a thing,we bleach ours every 2 years and we're still here.lol.Same as city does to chlorinate their water supply.
LOU

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This site has always had issues in converting the two quote symbols, when I type the single quote it always posts as a double quote. Some people have this problem, some don't. It's a 'feature" of this is site. :)

I've learned to spell out inches or feet, as it does get confusing, through no fault of the typer.

Paul

leroy in ne

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it's been 35 years since i worked in drilling field, but here goes what i remember. never set pump in screened area if possible. we usually finished developing well after bailing by pumping overnight or at least 2 hours after setting pump as part of well development. come on guys that are currently in the well field give some advise.

rusted nuts
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull the pump back up to at lease 3 feet, 10 feet would be better. If you have it set at 3 Inchs and the pump starts to pull in sand or silt it well get sucked all around the pump and jam it in there tight. I have pumped new well for a week to get them clear, most of the time only two day, But thats Two days steady at 20 gpm never shutting the pump off. When yo left the water set in a glass overnite and the silt when to the bottom with clear water on top That a sign that the well WILL clear up, BUT you have to pump the Ell out of it.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't you have to get a permit from the state to put down a well?

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Brad Buckanan,

I think you have the pump way too far down the well. If the well is low producing it may run dry unless you have the pick up way down. But having the pump that far down, it may take quite awhile to get clear water. Also I don't think you have pumped enough water yet! Good job on the whole project ........Guido.

rusted nuts
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depens what state you live in. none needed in Pa.

Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey RN.

I have the pump set three feet from the bottom of the well. Well is 58 feet and static level is 18 feet.

I really haven't pumped the well very much. I have been busy planting some new trees and dealing with family issues. Don't want to let it run unless I can be right near in case it sucks 'er dry.

Brad

rusted nuts
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Still workin' on the well. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats way you test pumped it at 5gpm for 15min. then 15gpm for 15 min. then 20 gpm for 1/2 hr. or what ever it was, THAT was to show you how much you can pump from the well without pumping it dry. Once you know that then you plug the pump in and walk away for a day or two.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.