Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

roto tiller

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellis Kinney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We recently moved to the farm. I plowed up and disced a garden. I am in the market for a roto tiller. I will be looking for a new one. Need some suggestions on what to look for and what to avoid. Thanks in advance, Ellis

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Troy Bilt horse and a pony, the pony beats me to death.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We bought a brand new Craftsman rear tine tiller just this year. It is black in color. The Craftsman replaces an ancient Troy-Bilt Horse that finally laid down and died.

The Craftsman is not quite the same as the old Troy-Bilt, but it is darned close and is MUCH easier to operate. The Craftsman also has the feature that allows the tines to run either forward or reverse, which the Troy-Bilt did not. Running the tines in reverse is GREAT for breaking up new ground.

The Craftsman retails for around $800 to $900, but you might catch one on sale for around $750.

A comparable Troy-Bilt retails for around $1,900.

I've used the Craftsman enough to go through 4 full tanks of gasoline, and so far, I am very well satisfied.

I believe that the Craftsman, Cub Cadet, and Husqvarna are all made by the same company. Some have Briggs and Stratton engines, some have Kohlers. My Craftsman has a Craftsman engine? Probably a Chinese knock-off, but it seems to be good.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your talking about a walk behind tiller a rear tine one is what you want. Troy built was the top of the line but has gone down hill a bit. I use an old as in new in 1972 troy horse. Easy on the person and does a great job but it is on its 2nd engine and has had the transmission rebuilt 2 or 3 times.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another one to consider is the BCS. Rear tine, 3 speed transmission, separate control for tines. You can also get other attachments (bush hog type mower, sickle mower, etc.) Works much better than the Horse Troy bilt, IMHO (I had a Troy for many years before). It is heavy, and kind of a chore at the end of the row. Just don't get an early one with the Acme engine- mine has Briggs, and it works fine.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have both kinds of tillers, a troy build pony and a JD counter rotating tiller. Like the counter rotating the best.
George

rustyj14
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen some of the Craftsman tillers that the transmission would go bad, with a broken gear or chain, or whatever, and since the transmission case was welded together, there wasn"t any way to repair them. Don"t know if they have been changed, but the ones i saw seemed very complicated to try to fix. RJ

rabbit
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ihave an Aerins rear tine unit. Belt driven to drive unit for both wheels and tines (rear). Reverse handled by secondary drive pulley on rear of engine. (Unfortunately they discontinued that design.) Two speed adjusted by simply moving v-belt to secons set of pulleys. I would buy another in a heartbeat if one came up for sale. One modification I made, made a difference in operation, I put a small skid at bottom of the rear spike, so it floats on the bottom of the tilled soil, doesn't dig in. Really helps in keeping tiller level, depth constant.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike (WA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:57:38 05/12/13) Another one to consider is the BCS. Rear tine, 3 speed transmission, separate control for tines. You can also get other attachments (bush hog type mower, sickle mower, etc.) Works much better than the Horse Troy bilt, IMHO (I had a Troy for many years before). It is heavy, and kind of a chore at the end of the row. Just don't get an early one with the Acme engine- mine has Briggs, and it works fine.

I priced a BCS. Scared the heck out of me. Seems like the basic power unit was somewhere around $2,500? The tiller unit is seperate and was another $500? It was going to cost me right at $3,000. Just to do what my $800 Craftsman will do.

merry tiller

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

merry tiller

BigMarv1085
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have 4 troy bilts. What ever you get make sure it is rear tine and you can get parts for it. I guess there is about 6 or 7 sets of worn out tines hanging in one of the shops.I rebuilt one of the troy bilt transmissions last year and a new set of tines for abour $500.

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What's it's use; preparing a seedbed or cultivating. Since you have a plow and disc i would get a front tined in small size. Sure makes for easier cultivating.

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know you said new, and though I cannot really help on those, I can say if you find a decent pre MTD troy bilt horse, its well worth the money.

I am a bit biased since they were built here for a long time, and a long time friend worked in their proving ground, between us, we're knowledgeable about the use of these.

I do the same, but just moldboard plow the garden, then send in the horse and I have rocky top soil, on top of a clay/gravel mix. even then used properly, it does a great job.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with what several others have stated. An OLD Troy-Bilt Horse is probably as good as it gets, but I'm here to tell you that I was not too unhappy when my old Troy-bilt gave up the ghost 'cause it was just getting to the point where I couldn't handle it anymore. A young man would get along just fine.

That Troy-Bilt is now taking up space where a tractor is supposed to be living, and the tractor is living outdoors. I would like to be rid of the Troy-Bilt.

keh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: roto tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an old Honda that works fine, cranks good, can steer with one hand usually and am able to walk beside it on the unplowed ground. I hate to try to plant around my big footprints.

KEH

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.