Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

How to set the rear wheel for plowing with the C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: How to set the rear wheel for plowing with the C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there a way to measure and set the right rear tire before actually plowing with the tractor? The tractor is a Farmall C and the plow is a Massey Harris 2-14. I know I will need to make a few adjustments to get it to plow correctly, but I would like to move the tire to the correct position before I head out to the field. The rear tires are new and I have two weights on the right rear and one on the left. Will that be enough? I want to enjoy this as much as possible.
Thank you
SDE

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to set the rear wheel for plowing with the C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The C will have a bear by the lead with 2-14s. In very easy loam OK, but in any tough soil it will not do well. With that said, The right tire should be aligned with the right edge of the right share. Pull the plow (up) forward for 15 feet or so very straight ahead. then you can use a string or long straight edge to measure where the right edge of the first share is in relationship to the inside edge of the sidewall of the right tire. This will be a reasonable starting point. Jim

504-1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How to set the rear wheel for plowing with the C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The left tire will slip more than the right, especially in sod.

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How to set the rear wheel for plowing with the C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run my SC with both tires all the way in with just a slight gap between the hub and axle housing. 12.4"X36" tires with rims dished out. This is with a C20 2-14" fast hitch plow.

My SC has a fresh motor and in my heavy clays it will barely break new ground. Once the ground has been turned it's 1st gear WOT with 3 weights on each side.

Dave Sherburne NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How to set the rear wheel for plowing with the C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

25 1/2" from center line of tractor to the inside of the right rear wheel.
"adjust the rear wheels of the tractor so they are equidistant from the center line of tractor.The distance between the center line of the tractor and the inside of the tire is determined by the size of the plow:
23 1/2 " for 12 inch plows,
25 1/2" for 14 inch plows,
and 27 1/2" for 16 inch plows. When plowing at depths greater than 8 inches add 1 inch to the dimensions above."
When in the ground, the plow should be level front to back and right to left.
Old USDA plow book

LMack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to set the rear wheel for plowing with the C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We always set the left rear over about 5" from the end of the axel housing and I do not remember the exact measurement. Set just right you could look down the center of the hood over the radiator cap down the last pass along the tire track and keep the tractor in line. It only worked with the C/SC/200 series tractors and 14" plows. The right side tire was about 2" off the end of the axel housing. Those of you who work in heavy clay or loam soil might think it strange but we pulled 2 14"s in third gear with both a C and a 200. Our soil tended to be a soft Loamy-sand or Sandy-loam.

SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How to set the rear wheel for plowing with the C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for the manual. I copied it and will try to read the rest of it later. If the little C can not do the job, I will go back to using the 400. When I get the F-20 running, in a few years, I will try her at it also.
Thank you
Steve

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: How to set the rear wheel for plowing with the C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Either add a second weight to your tractor's land wheel, or transfer the second weight from the furrow wheel to the land wheel. You will not be happy the way it is now.

Cmore
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: How to set the rear wheel for plowing with the C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To get you in the ballpark, move the right wheel about two inches from the axel housing...the left, about 14 inches from the axel housing..Cmore

SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How to set the rear wheel for plowing with the C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I added another weight to the left side. I have a couple more , but they are not the IH weights. I moved the right wheel in an inch, to get the 25.5 spacing, which is about 2 inches from the housing.
Thank you
SDE

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters