Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'55 Series Violent Shaking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Meade
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: '55 Series Violent Shaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1755 recently rebuilt engine which runs perfectly on the vac. Tractor used to run good in all regards.
Since the engine overhaul, when in motion the tractor will sometimes, not always and not most of the time, enter a violent shaking. It seems to happen in both direct and overdrive and it seemsm to not happen in underdrive. If it starts, it will stop in a few seconds (not instantaneously) when shifted to underdrive.
Since it operates perfectly when standing still and seems to be OK in underdrive, my question is what could be causing this in direct and overdr4ive?
The hydro is full of good fluid.
It doesn"t do this all the time.
Ideas?

88 Diesel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: '55 Series Violent Shaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have any loose or broken bellhousing bolts? How is the chain coupler alignment?

Jim Meade
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 Series Violent Shaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ll have to double check the bellhousing bolts. How would that affect it? The chain coupler is level as far as I can tell, checked it closely when installing it, too.
I"m wondering if there is a bearing or something that only affects direct and over drive. Otherwise, I"d think underdrive would be affected and it doesn"t seem to be.

e
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 Series Violent Shaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be a coupler alignement issue. Verify side to side alignement as well as up and down.

darren lauer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 Series Violent Shaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

did you replace the throwout bearing? There is a collar or sleeve that it rides on that needs to be shoved into bellhousing and preferebly tacwelded in place..This fixed my shaking problem on my 1755 but i also had loose bolts as well.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 Series Violent Shaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sounds like the chain coupler sprockets are not properly aligned

Ken Grimm
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 Series Violent Shaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are the right engine bolts put in their correct holes so that the engine, over/under are lined up correctly with the rear sprocket?

Jim Meade
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 Series Violent Shaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put brand new engine bolts in. The right size.

I tweaked the coupler line up a little - very little. I'll try it and see if it changes things.

hd6gtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: '55 Series Violent Shaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim the high side of my hydropower is slipping and it shakes bad when I first shift it. It does not shake in UD. I only have the 2 speed but it sounds like the problem you are having.

bison
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: '55 Series Violent Shaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you check the transmission input shaft for excessive play in the front bearing at the chain coupler sprocket?
i had a 1855 with a bad shake and found upon engine removal/rebuild a lot of play in the tr input shaft.
I took out most of the shimms to get the preload to be were it should be.
The shake was gone.
Then again i had rebuild the over/under as well for good measure altough i found nothing wrong in it but the sprag was about to fall apart when i took it out(i could save that one as well by fashioning some brass rings on my lathe to hold it together and get the sideplay out).
I put 2500hrs on it since..no problems.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.