Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winch battery?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got my brand new 10,000lb winch mounted on the gooseneck trailer and need to buy a battery. Which battery group number should I buy? Regular or deep cycle?

Thanks in advance!

kito169
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have always used deep cycle. I"m very pleased with its performance.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For a trailer Winch the ONLY battery(s) Id use would be a true Deep Cycle (More like Golf Cart Batteries) NOT those wimpy RV/Marine so called "deep cycle" they sell at Wally World. Trojan and others make them at 12 volt or you could use two regular 6 volt Golf Cart batteries (Trojan or other brands) wired in series. Id also use good heavy gauge cables.

While driving down the road a hot charging connection via your 7 pole trailer wiring plug can charge the trailer battery via your trucks alternator

Sure, about any 12 volt or Wally World half A$$ RV/Marine "Deep Cycle" will "work", but not as well as a true deep cycle golf cart type of battery will. Your money your use your choice

John T

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi John, Battery will be an Interstate. A lot of them are called deep cycle/cranking?
Would you mind clicking on the link? Down at the bottom are 6V is that the ones?
Thanks, Butch
Interstate deep cycle batteries

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Butch(OH) wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:50:54 05/22/13) Got my brand new 10,000lb winch mounted on the gooseneck trailer and need to buy a battery. Which battery group number should I buy? Regular or deep cycle?

Thanks in advance!

If you will be using that winch a LOT, go with a deep cycle. If you will use it only occasionally, go with a 12 volt battery that will also fit either your truck or one of your tractors.

Or, if you have a tractor that will not be used at the same time you are using the trailer, just put THAT battery on the trailer.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JohnT,
I purchased a deep cycle excide from Rural King for my 2000 lb wench. It works for what little I use it.

However, after buying the excide battery I purchased a battery conductivity tester which can measure CCA. My excide battery measured only 500CCA. The deep cycle battery that came with my 10k dump trailer measures 1000 CCA.

Deep cycle batteries don't give you their CCA, so unless you take something to the store to measure the batttery before you buy it, you really don't know what you're getting.

Excide also makes a very large lawn mower battery. It measure over 400 CCA. Go figure.

I rigged up a way to connect my dump trailer battery to the battery of my IH C, which I use to pull gravel out of my old gravel pit. That way my dump trailer battery is getting charged when I using the trailer. The same could be done with any wench battery. Charge it off the truck when not in use.

George

tomNE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

deep cycle. it will last 3 times longer and work 10 times better!

hoof print
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you can't go wrong with interstate.

I'd get the highest CCA I could afford.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From a real quick look, it looks like its ONLY that very bottom 6 volt battery Id consider a Golf Cart True Deep Cycle but you would need 2 in series for 12 volts. When I see terms like cranking or starting I still view such as combination quasi deep cycle RV/Marine use which just arent the same a pure deep cycle batteries like used on mules and golf carts etc.

HOWEVER it also depends on how one uses the Winch. The RV/Marine quasi deep cycle is able to deliver a high short burst of current (maybe winch the tractor up the ramp, the hardest pull requiring most amps) plus still has some long term deep discharge capacity. But if theres gonna be a bunch of winch use over a long time before the battery can be recharged THEN ID OPT FOR A TRUE DEEP CYCLE.

IN HINDSIGHT I may back pedal just a bit away from my first post. There are times where a deep cycle is best (lots of use over long period before re charge) but maybe for a one time hard heavy pull and youre done for a good while then a quasi deep cycle RV/Marine (with that high amp short term capacity) may be okay??????

John T

Dalex
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm with Rusty Farmall , If you're only using the the winch a couple times a year , just take a good battery out of a tractor. No point in having that expensive battery deteriorating out in the hot sun . That's what I do , no problems. Use it weekly ? Get the Deep Cycle....

smallercrawler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ran truck battery power (+ and -) to plug at rear bumper using welding cable in poly sleeving. Plug winch or dump trailer into this using mating plug. No extra batteries to keep up with, and idling truck while using power eases battery load. Made a set of jumper cables that uses same rear plug for extra reach when needed. Also installed dis-connect under hood to kill power line to rear when not used. Worked good for about 8 years now.

Chris(WA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you considered a long pair of cables connected to the truck battery and a jumper plug at the rear of your truck? Just plug in when you need to power the winch. That way the battery will be in active use and charged, you save the cost of a second battery and have the capability of jumping from the rear of your truck to boot.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keep in mind the battery never lasts as long as you think it will. Probably not a bad idea to have a heavy-duty line running from the truck's charging system back to the trailer so you can use both the truck and trailer battery to power the winch on heavy pulls.

Chris(WA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great minds think alike! I must have still been typing when you hit send! What did you use for cable connections? Those flat Anderson connectors that are kind of the standard are nice but a bit spendy.

smallercrawler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch battery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Chris, also noted the near simultaneous reply time and suggestion offered, not sure it relates to a great mind on my end though, more like self preservation! I used forklift battery style connectors (Anderson)? where both halves are the same, believe it was mcmastercarr p/n 7043K8 and 2/0 cable. IIRC they were only $11.00/pair when I bought. Bit the bullet and put this fix on 2 trucks and 2 trailers-after I had come-alonged a 5k# dead crawler onto a trailer at a 4th of July show in 85+ degree wx. Decided it was cheaper than a heart attack! LOL.
Untitled URL Link

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.