Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kohler KT17 Smoking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eye4iron
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Kohler KT17 Smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Kohler KT17 Series 2 that has started to smoke and use oil. Other than rings, can this engine smoke and use oil if there is something wrong with the crankcase breather system? Someone told me about an umbrella disk or valve that might cause this condition. I"m not sure if he knew for sure or not. Any thoughts?

Brian Dan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler KT17 Smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check your air filter and see if it is full of enging oil. If it is you will need to replace a breather valve. The breather valve is located under the air cleaner, follow the tube from the air cleaner to valve cover. Also if the valve is bad your engine will blow the oil seal on the crank out put shaft.
Brian

eye4iron
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler KT17 Smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The air cleaner is mounted on the carb with no breather tube going to it. I"ll. have to follow the tube and see where the other end goes to. I think I remember it going to a square plate that was held on with a bolt in the center of it. Does that sound familiar?

Old Roy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler KT17 Smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm still having that nightmare..

I got mine used and it used a little oil at first, then it kept getting worse.. when I tore it down finally I found the bottom oil rings had lost their tension and collapsed to the same size as the piston.

Odd part was I had decent compression,95# on both sides. oil was not going into carb from the PCV.
Only smoked for a few seconds maybe 30 or so,...on start up, but would quit. I parked it shortly after this Vid I should have it running soon ..I bought another tractor for the engine cheaper than the rebuild kit for this motor.
It was using a quart an acre here , with not much smoke while working it .

Brian Dan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Kohler KT17 Smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes that is it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.