Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

egg shaped drawbar hole repair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmiller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: egg shaped drawbar hole repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a drawbar hole on a 806 IH that is in bad shape.
What are some suggestions on how to go about welding it back up to the right size/round???

ben there
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: egg shaped drawbar hole repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i've used copper pipe for sort of a mold and built weld up,chipping good between layers...it takes awhile.

Tom-NoCenTX

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: egg shaped drawbar hole repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the tongue of my offset plow, I cut a piece of thick wall black pipe about 1/2 inch longer than the thickness of the tongue. Filled in around it with stick welder, building it up a little thicker right around the pipe on both sides, then ground off the excess pipe with 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. Left with a perfect hole, and exactly the right size for my pulling pin. Tom

Christopher Mikesell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: egg shaped drawbar hole repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I work for a couple professional welders and the standard procedeure is to weld it up with stick, usually 6011.
You first vee out the metal so that you can get new metal all of the way to the center of the hole on the worn side. You then insert a carbon rod that matches the original diameter of the hole. Then, you weld up the hole, carefully chipping the flux after each pass. You then pull/drive the carbon rod out and grind the top and bottom flat. Finally, you finish the hole by removing any roughness from the inside with a die grinder.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: egg shaped drawbar hole repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My local welding shop welded and bored mine out.

$20

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: egg shaped drawbar hole repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use 7018 rod for a drawbar if you can. I usually don't worry to much about the finished hole because it will wear smooth anyway. The pipe plan sounds good tho.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: egg shaped drawbar hole repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd start by pricing a drawbar...
After that, if I thought it was worth the aggravation... I'd probably see if the bar could be bored concentric again, then install a hardened bushing and weld that in place. I don't know about that particular bar... but a lot of them are a pretty high grade of spring steel. They don't weld easily and don't last if not done correctly...

Rod

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: egg shaped drawbar hole repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had good luck using old brg races, if they do not quite fit I use a die grinder to remove enough from the drawbar until it will fit then weld in place, the races seem to hold enough of their hardness to last very well and makes them look factory again, then I make sure I use only the correct size pin in them

D beatty
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: egg shaped drawbar hole repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a heavy collar with a hole that matches the draw bar pin. Than take a torch and burn a hole in draw bar to fit collar in and making sure that collar is centered in draw bar and spot it in. Burn it in from both sides ( never stop welding until done). After it cools take a grinder and and grind it smooth on both sides.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: egg shaped drawbar hole repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Best answer.

randy hall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: egg shaped drawbar hole repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i always weld the hole completely shut and drill it out to the size i want it to be, but i work at a machine shop with huge drill presses so it's easy for me to drill a large hole.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: egg shaped drawbar hole repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That would be the way I'd fix it.

I never run across any draw bar that seemed to have spring steel in them. I have at least two that I bent down and they sure didn't bend back on their own. I have one in my Farmall C now that is bent down some. I have extended for the power take off from the crimper and bailer. I pain to move in or out. I have replaced two over the years with hot roll bar on Olivers and they didn't bend. The ones I bent I had the drawbar extended and hooked onto a heavy down load which I should not have.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: egg shaped drawbar hole repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ford bars are spring steel. They'll bend probably 30 degrees or more under load but they always spring back... You definitely don't weld them with 6011 as someone suggested. Personally... if I was welding on one it would be done with a Sodel 335. Then again... you never wear the hold out on a Ford bar either.

Rod

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.