Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twin City
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did a little plowing today with the 27-44 Twin City tractor. The field has been in sod for about fifteen years and was plowing about eight inches deep. The tractor just turned 87 years old in May.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Neat.

I'm more impressed with the plows trailing properly with that hitch setup.

Paul

State of Jefferson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's amazing! Friends of mine just bought a $150k Deeere to pull a 6 bottom with.
Although theirs may be a tad more comfortable to operate for 12 hours a day>;-)

Ben

KIP in MX
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great photos and wished I had your soil on my place.

495man
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice, impressed with the trailing plow set up as well, must be harder to keep straight with the tractor on land.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That tractor was built back when horses(HP) was equal to Clydesdale's not like ponies as of today.

NEKS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How does that type of traction wheel hold verse the spade type. Looks more comfortable to ride.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great photos and great soil.

I imagine the twin trip ropes keep you on your toes at furrow end.

Dean

robgIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thats an impressive looking setup.

MtMan

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mighty nice picture of some nice equipment working. If your tractor is a 27-44 I would think it means it has 27 horsepower on the draw bar and 44 horsepower on the belt pulley. That means it took 17 HP to turn the bull gears over. But the power to pull with comes from the ratio of the bull gears in the differential. Just my 2$ worth. Thanks again for your picts.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great looking tractor.
The plow setup is slick too.
With my memory, I would have to color code the
trip ropes so I knew which one I was raising first!

Twin City
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great comments. The tractor only moves along at 2 mph. The pyramid lugs are for hard surface ground or doing road work and are a lot easier on the back. After a day of pulling trip ropes and turning this beast around at the end of the field a newer tractor would have been nice. I like your idea of different colors for the trip ropes,thanks! Molines biggest rope trip plow was 5 bottoms so their idea was to use the pair of 3 bottoms. Here is a picture from a 1926 sales booklet that I was going by.

sd pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice pic! Thanks for sharing it.

rankrank1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that pic.

I had always heard the old timers talk about those Twin Cities and their immense power back when I was a young'un 35 or so years ago. Seems like every TC I ever heard about always far exceeded the mfg ratings which is why they are legendary I guess. Never had the pleasure of running one though.

The plow set-up is impressive as well. My grandpa tried rigging 2 hydraulic tow plows (a JD 3 bottom and a JD 2 bottom) together back in the 1970's for use behind a Moline G705. His effort was much less successful and was soon abandoned.

ss55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling 6 bottoms with 44 HP tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your tractor and plows are both very impressive. Thank you for keeping them in operating condition and thank you for sharing your pictures.

The drawbar setup between your plows is very interesting because at first glance it looks almost too simple to work but it obviously works very well - a very good design! Is if difficult to setup?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.