Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Made in USA vise grips

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott 730
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been posted recently but I was pleasantly surprised to see made in USA vise grips at a local tool supplier. I asked him where he got ahold of some old stock and he said they were new production. Very Happy Has anyone else seen any?

Last edited by Scott 730 on Wed May 29, 2013 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dalex
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And they were Irwin brand with a roll pin in the
release lever ? The Chinese crap ones have a rivet
in the lever....

Scott 730
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The one I looked at was the 6" C clamp style and it absolutely said Made in USA on the label. What caught my eye first was the Stars and Stripes on the label.

504-1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had some come through the store last week(the next ones may be from China, we will see)

rustyj14
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still have all of mine from my working days! All made in USA! I have the mechanic types, and the body-man types. they are handy for repairing lawn mowers and tractors. Never slip, never jump off, just hold and hold!
On the other hand-when the usa went to metric stuff, i bought some great tools, made in Tiawan, sockets and hand wrenches, etc. They are stll in use!

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All of them that I've seen lately, made in the US or otherwise... are all crap.

Rod

Gambles
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would like to see a little more info on that, as the original factory in DeWitt, Nebraska was shuttered, as well as about 500 jobs.
It still galls me when I see a Chinese-made Vice-Grips that has the word "original" on the packaging. The old man Peterson would be turning in his grave if he saw that.

Ken-Pa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like buying & using USA made Channel Lock tools . They are made in Meadville Pa ,,. only about 1/2 hr west of me . I used to have afriend that worked there & he could get me 2nds really cheap or grade #1 at his cost . He disappeared so my great deals are over with . God bless , Ken

Gambles
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not to get nit-picky here, but their pliers are made in USA. A lot of their other tools, like their screwdrivers and adjustable wrenches are not.
But yea, I like them too.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They're old stock. You still some of the made in USA
ones in stores that don't sell a lot of tools.

Ken-Pa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't know that . It's been around 20 - 25 yrs since I've bought any . As far as adjustable wrenches , I've always bought & used the Crescent brand . My Dad bought nothing but USA made tools . He made his living with tools , so he was quite fussy about what he bought & he would always wipe them down before they entered his tool chest again . As a kid , that was my job . He wouldn't teach me anything but how to keep a clean toolbox & to always clean up the areas when finished . Oh , also how to hold a trouble light so he could see . If he couldn't see , he would always grab the trouble light out of my hand & smash it over my head . Then my next lesson was to go get a new bulb from Mom . What I know is what I've learned first hand by a Hands-On technique . But I truly loved my Dad . God bless , Ken

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's no reason a company can't make a product in China to the same level of quality as their American product. Likewise, once a company (such as Irwin) decides to cut quality to save cost, they can do that with their American-made product. Irwin may have moved some production back to the US, but I'll bet new Vice-Grips made in the US are just as crappy as their Chinese junk.

rossow (mn)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have had a great score on made-in-USA Vise Grips at yard
sales recently. I bought six at one sale for 50 cents and a
dollar each, all in great shape. Found two others small ones,
brand new in their original cardboard boxes, for a buck
apiece. I"ll take all I can get at those prices!

Brian G. NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rossow,
I, like, you buy many tools at garage sales.
I bought a 10" pair of Vice-Grips last year that were just like new.
' had to pay $4.00 but they were original Peterson so I was happy with the price.

karl f
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Made in USA vise grips Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't take what the "made in" label says too seriously. I've seen something simple like a bolt with pressed on washer come in a package saying "made in Canada with imported parts." You can't get much simpler than a washer-headed bolt! Also have opened a parts box that says "made in Germany," only to see the inner wrapper have a sticker that says "...Korea."

Maybe USA and Canada are also the names of cities in China and Mexico!

-karl f

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.