Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 8N Rear Knocking

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirey
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Help...
lately my Ford 8N started knocking when the tractor is in gear. I have no clue what is causing this and the best approach to correct the problem.

I am hoping some ford 8n owners out there have seen this and can point me in the right direction.

I plan to restore this tractor soon so if I have to tear it down that"s not going to be an issue.

look forward to hearing back...

Greg
Oklahoma

Tirey
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I should add that the knock occurs while the tractor is in gear and moving. the faster I go the faster the knock.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check lug nuts, and rim to center bolts on each side.

if all good.

check for loose hubs.. rock top of tire in/out from/to fender.

if any movement.. post that back.

might see a loose axle nut too.

if none of that. post back. there are other possibilities.

is it do it at set revoloutions?

any worse in reverse? etc.

Tirey
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I did the following.

1. With PTO engaged

Drove forward and the knock was steady. Maybe call it a clunk. But none the less, knock, knock, knock

Drove the tractor in reverse and it continued to knock.

2. PTO disengaged

Same noise...

Also, I was box blading when the noise began and I was using the wheel locking brakes to turn sharp.

Does anyone know if low gear oil can cause the knocking?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Tirey, and a good start on the troubleshooting.
That should pretty much eliminate the common knock in the hydraulic pump.
Check out what SoundGuy recommended.
8N's are known for loose/worn hubs, loose hub nuts etc.
Loose lug nuts have fooled more than one guy into thinking they
had a bigger issue.
Most noises on these tractors are not big money or big trouble to
fix once you find what is causing it.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tirey wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:04:26 06/01/13) I think checking the hubs and lugs and axle nuts will require a jack

Not really, grab the top of the tire and push/pull.
Like you were trying to roll the tractor over sideways.
Not like you were trying to push it down the road.
You'll be able to tell if it rocks or moves a lot.
You may even hear it pop.

mite-help
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think low oil is your problem, not when pto is not in use--could be items mentioned, or something in differential gears if other stuff checks out--does the clunk' remain the same beat regardless of what gear you are in? maybe tooth gone on diff gearset

Tirey
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks,

I am new to the site and I love this old tractor. I cant wait to restore it but I am in the middle of a house building project. I did manage to get it jacked up tonight. So I hope to have the wheels off soon.

I appreciate all the help from other 8N owners.

Greg

Tirey
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Soundguy,

I did manage to get the tractor jacked up tonight before sun down. I will probably pull wheels off in coming days. However, I did rock the top of the tires as you suggested. I did notice the left wheel had a little play. not much, but I could feel a little movement as I pulled (rocked) the tire in and out toward the fender.

Greg

Tirey
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes the "Clunk"/"Knocking" is very constant. it tends to increase and decrease with the speed.

if it were a tooth, can replacement gears be found?

Tirey
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse,

thanks for the information. I did as you both suggested and I noticed a bit of movement on the left side wheel. it didn't POP but I did notice a bit of movement.

Greg

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does the knock go away if you disengage the PTO?? If it does, then it is the hyd. pump - a very common problem.

Jim in Ma.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very little movement???
Listen to Soundguy! Don't jack it up until you put a wrench on the lug nuts and also the big nut for the hub. Then drive your tractor around to see if that made any difference.

Tirey
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom,

No. With the Pto in gauged or disingauged the know is still present.

Tirey
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N Rear Knocking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Knock

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.