Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: Pole barn - erecting poles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dukester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 14 'green" poles 14-18' in length. I would like to use some of these poles to construct a small tractor shed (single low-slope roof - lean-to type). I'm sort of in the boonies and without hiring a crew, on my own to do this. My biggest challenge I see first is getting the posts in the ground. Can this be done by one person and moderately safe at the same time? I read on another tractor forum of a guy that just walked a 16' pole into a 4' hole!? I'm not feeble but no Arnold either. While I'm at it, I need a good way to get the poles from point A to point B on my property without dragging and tearing up most of our yard. I can envision a A-frame trailer with 2 bicycle wheels to hold the rear end while my 8N lifts the front, but not sure of a design... Thanks for ideas. Dukester

pikewi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dukester, you shouldn't have any problem walking the poles into the holes. I have done it many times and at 6' and 150 lbs. I am no arnold either.
I think if you drag the poles with one end raised you will do minimal damage to your yard. JMHO
Pike

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've walked telephone poles before. Nice to have help. Keep things away, in case it gets away from you.

If I have another pole barn built, I will hire it done. Getting too old. I will have 4 ft hole, per building code. May make holes over 4 ft and put concrete in hole and let set up. This may put an end to pole barns settling. Many people say poles rot off at ground level. I think I would also back fill with white rock. Just something to think about.
George

Kirk West
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reminds me of setting a 24" light pole on the farm. Dug the hole by hand and made a little down trench into it. My plan was to lay the pole in the back of the 42 International (with most of it up over the cab), and have my wife back up the truck while I guided it in with ropes and levers. She got it almost into the hole and almost straight up and she pushed in the clutch. Pole came down on top to the binder. Almost caused a divorce but pretty funny 30 years later

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A method I have used with success for fence posts is fill the bottom of the hole with 8" - 12" of drain rock, brace the post plumb then fill hole to within 3" of the top with fine crushed rock and tamp every 12" or so. Then top off the last 3" with concrete sloped away from the post. You should treat your poles where they go into the ground. Works well and lasts for years. I did one at my mothers place 25 yrs ago and the posts are still sound (pressure treated wood). HTH

ppconnie.ks.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have moved many poles by using the 3 pt. raise one end block it up..straddle the pole..chain end to front..use 3 pt. to raise rear end..carefully drive to bldg. site..hth

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ever heard of a Pike pole? 2 or 3 guys used to set telephone and electrical poles 30 feet tall with them before the utility trucks came along.I guess I'm the only one old enough to remember that.

kris Jensen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As an ex telephone co. employee, I have set many poles. rule was 5 ft' for a 25 ft pole, 6ft. for a thirty five ft. pole. What is your frost line?
I dislike setting in a bit of concrete, like near the top, That will guarantee it will rot off at the ground line. If you want to set in concrete get a sonotube a bit bigger than your pole (slip it over pole before planting) and extend it about six inches above the ground line and fill with concrete. A 14 ft pole can be walked into the hole fairly easily.
they can also be dragged very easy by lifting one end about four inches off the ground.
happy building A friend built a shelter for an A-C wf using 4x4 x12 ft. I would use 6x6

smallercrawler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have used gin poles, are they similar to pike poles??

Dukester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

5" avg depth frost and 8-10" extreme according to NGS. I live in northern Mississippi.

Dukester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, i take it you mean the tractor has the pole under its belly when you say straddle it? This seems too easy ?!

Dukester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did a "test" today with one pole to see how far i could get it
up...(that doesnt sound right ), by walking it up. Got about
halfway up the pole but got too heavy and had to heave aside.
Didnt help that pole was wet and I didnt have a hole to work
against..not sure at this point.

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a Pike pole. Still available with handles up to 20ft. long in ash or aluminum.

ScoutB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I set 16' poles by myself with no problem. I rolled them around using a regular 2-wheel dolly. Lay the dolly on its back next to the pole, parallel to the pole and about halfway down its length. Lift one end of the pole and swing the pole over the dolly. If the balance is even close you can roll it around the yard with one hand.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Pole barn - erecting poles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put a wide board in the hole so the butt can slide without catching the dirt.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.